Lyn Weber Workshops- EG-1 Home Test - Page 22

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dsc

#211: Post by dsc »

The top of the shaft seems fixed within a bearing / bearings, the lower secction of the shaft seems to be supported by a bearing / bushing as well, so I can't really understand how moving the lower bearing support can align anything apart from introducing more error / flex / angular misalignment.

T.

AssafL

#212: Post by AssafL »

Assuming LWW found a way to make this process 1) easy to accomplish 2) accurate and 3) sturdy 4) all without needing tools - hats off to them.

No mean feat as it is a delicate and cumbersome task on those grinders that allow it. For my VL it took hours of working out flex in the system. Alignment was easy- but then you tighten the screws and everything falls out of alignment.

Worse: Rotate the burrs 120 degrees - created runout and out of alignment again...

Also Checking alignment on the VL required tools. I don't have a runout gauge (well - actually I do - but I don't think it is necessary) - so I use a set of feeler gauge and an optivisor (with an additional loupe).

Hats off to the LWW team! (assuming it works)
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

chrisbodnarphoto

#213: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

I imagine all of these questions will be much easier answered once the units are shipping and they start getting in the hands of technical engineers/enthusiasts. I can't wait to see what that crowd will have to say!

LWW seems to have pretty extraordinary industrial design team/advisers (some have been key designers who worked on major Apple products with fairly tight tolerances, after all!), so I would imagine that they have gone to great lengths to ensure that things work as advertised/as they should.

Anyways ... this is all speculation until we have the product in our (lucky!) hands!

Chert

#214: Post by Chert replying to chrisbodnarphoto »

That's true.

So, TomC, to help you with all that clutter of gear at your place and since August is still something like 69 days off, I volunteer to store that home unit and make good use of it, too. Just let me know shipping costs. I'll be happy to try to answer some of the questions, despite my lack of engineering background.

Thanks!

Flint
LMWDP #198

Macphi

#215: Post by Macphi »

Anyone heard any news or seen new videos on the EG-1 Grinder?

August just can't come fast enough... :-)

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#216: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to Macphi »

They released a photo of the custom control box, but that's about it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Macphi

#217: Post by Macphi »

Thank you Tom!

chrisbodnarphoto

#218: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

The release/ship date is near, and anyone that ordered one of the first 100 pre-order units should have received the full manual in their inbox today!

I figured the rest of the HB community might be interested in seeing how it operates etc. We're all geeks, after all. :)

http://lynweber.com/products/eg-1/basics/instructions/

canuckcoffeeguy

#219: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to chrisbodnarphoto »

Looks like they're shipping the first 100 tomorrow. Hopefully we'll see some HB user reviews soon!

SAB

#220: Post by SAB »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Looks like they're shipping the first 100 tomorrow. Hopefully we'll see some HB user reviews soon!
From an email from LWW ON July 22...
For North American and European orders, we are shipping from Taiwan to Los Angeles on 8/22, with an ETA in Long Beach on 9/12. Depending on US Customs clearance, we should have goods in our warehouse on or about 9/19. We will commence shipping for these orders on 9/21. These dates are estimates and may shift in either direction by a small amount.
Still at least a month away... :? Sigh...