Good decaf options... Is Starbucks out of the question? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
sluflyer06

#11: Post by sluflyer06 »

Kamatta wrote:I guess I could try to reduce my intake of coffee products, and try to taste with 6 - 8 oz cups. Is there any thoughts on how to wean myself off of sugar? Milk should be easy, but I reduced it down to 2 packets of sweetner...should I try 1 sweetner for a week then 3 sugars and keep going down from there to acquire a taste for real coffee?

Thanks so far guys! :)
How much coffee are you drinking a day? Also what makes you want a job at Starbucks?

I'm gonna be pretentious for a second and point out that once you discover quality, fresh coffee, brewed properly (whatever the method) you probably will be immediately shocked at the total lack of need for sweetener.

Kamatta (original poster)

#12: Post by Kamatta (original poster) replying to sluflyer06 »

I am now drinking one to two 8 oz cups of regular coffee a day, (note that I am only up because of other reasons ) because I found that there are more options than decaf. Is it pretty sad that I found Fresh Market's generic coffee (well, at least the chocolate one...the caramel one had an initial "shock" factor to it, probably was old.) better than Sumatra Decaf and didn't need sugar at all? I guess you are right, if the coffee is fresh and not total loss, you don't need sugar. Probably after I try some small coffee companies I'll probably stop Starbucks for cold brewing.
I like Starbucks's atmosphere, it is a lot less chaotic (at least the ones I applied too) than other places I been, even during the most hectic times (think Rush Hour, Weekend, Mall Sales, ect.) Plus, I like coffee and tea and thought that it would be a good chance to explore it, and learn a little more of being a barista while making money. I know you might say, why not a local small cafe? Well, I live in Tampa, and the smallest is Einstein's Bagels (Caribou Coffee) which obviously is also a chain. Though we do have one, I might check them out (only been once, and that was before I knew that coffee could taste good without stuff to mask the fact that it is Folgers or Maxwell House. Don't tell my father, but I sneaked a blend to replace his Maxwell House (Don't worry, the mermaid whore wasn't it, he hates her too, and he only knows the worst of the worst coffee.).

drgary
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary »

No, you're not understanding. Fine coffee by itself, properly roasted, can be very sweet. There are natural sugars in the coffee bean that are cooked away when over-roasting. Adding sweetened chocolate or caramel is adding sugar.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Kamatta (original poster)

#14: Post by Kamatta (original poster) »

Ah okay, that makes more sense.

spressomon

#15: Post by spressomon »

Old Soul's Sidamo decaf...you won't believe its decaf...but it is (99.9% caffeine free per OS)...and earned a 93 point score from Coffee Review.

Nossa decaf is the second best we've found...
No Espresso = Depresso

boldstep

#16: Post by boldstep »

One of my absolute favorite decafs is Redding Coffee Roasters espresso blend #1. Totally doesn't taste like decaf and cuts through milk drinks amazingly. Fabulous