Growing mushrooms in coffee grounds - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Marcelnl

#11: Post by Marcelnl »

I'd like one that never fills up :wink:
Other than that minor discomfort knockboxes are so low tech that they work quite well. What might be an adittional tool is a vibrating tamp stand, thought of it yesterday...it should be quite possible to create a PF vibrator making the tapping before tamping less messy. (ConsideringbI use the horizontal then vertical tap and shake before a final tamp technique which works quite well without additional distribution)...dunno about about any interest commercially but to me it seems a viable solution for professionals that may also decrease RSI risk and waste, and by doing that increase profit.
LMWDP #483

AssafL

#12: Post by AssafL »

Why are Oyster Mushrooms the only edible fungi for coffee grinds? Too much work for Oysters....

Why not Chanterelles - or truffles (white Alba) - or a bunch of Morels. Or a Porcini.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

Probably this:
The best advice for success is to start by growing Oyster mushrooms, the easiest and most forgiving variety for any home cultivator to grow.
From: https://www.growveg.com/guides/growing- ... e-grounds/

I then found this comment about growing porcini mushrooms in clay pots...
This is fake, Porcini (Bolete Mushroom =Boletus sp.) are mycorrhizal fungi they cannot give fruit-bodies without association with root trees like (Pinus sylvestris, Picea abies et Quercus robur and other). What we see in this video is not correct
From http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1-X-_QWBXQ

And then I found this:
Ectomycorrhizal Fungi - These fungi are often specific in the plants they associate with and include many of the commonly wild-harvested mushrooms (e.g. Chanterelles, Boletes [Porcini], Matsutake, and Russula species). They form complex multi-species relationships that are somewhat difficult to reproduce commerically. As such, these mycorrhizal fungi are not commonly cultivated.
From: https://radicalmycology.com/educational ... fungi-101/
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

AssafL

#14: Post by AssafL »

Thanks Yakster.

I guess I knew that a relationship with a host plant was indeed possiblity but I always see Oyster's which are kind of boring. Yes - with Olive oil and salt they are okay - but not the most flavorful of mushrooms. Even truffles require a certain oak tree to be around. I grew an Oyster once - and ma do it with my kid as a science experiment - but it was too much and you get them for cheap in supermarkets...

So that begs the question - in all of David Aurora's book of Mushrooms - are there no other - more flavorful mushrooms to be had? The Amanita with the red cap, ceps, enokis...

Marcelnl

#15: Post by Marcelnl »

Truffles have been somewhat succesfully combined with cultivated oak tree's, leading a 3 out of 4 odds ratio....but why waiting many years before you can harvest them, truffles are abundant (visit Umbrie and you'll trip over the places where they sell them) and can be cheap (staying away from the high end dealers and most precious species). I have bought some black summer truffles adding like 1€ per dish to the total cost of the meal.

I can recommend psilocybe semilanceata for home growing, just not for taste :x
Shii take can be grown quite easly by using plugs or inoculated stems, and taste good. Yet I tend to use dried ones in many dishes as these are much much more affordable than the fresh product, same with fungi porcini (my alltime favorites for flavor)
If you can get them chantarelles are good, morchela deliciosa too...but the name gives away they are good, and hence expensive..trompette de la morte are good too (as in sauces to go with game).

Home growing is pretty limited, think oyster mushroom are the least picky and will grow on coffee waste, don't think any other mushroom will...
LMWDP #483

AssafL

#16: Post by AssafL »

If it were possible to do morels - oh my. Morels are probably favorites - albeit an omelet with chanterelles is very nice. But a Morel Alfredo with a few tagliatelle thrown is so it isn't bait n switch to call it "pasta" - is probably the only thing better than white Alba truffles.

I actually prefer the dried kind as one can soak them in milk and use the morel flavored milk (or cream) to make the sauce. It becomes a brownish/gray Alfredo.

Marcelnl

#17: Post by Marcelnl »

Hmm soaking in milk or cream sounds like a good idea, thanks for that tip!
LMWDP #483

AssafL

#18: Post by AssafL »

It takes longer to soften in milk than in water. Warm milk shortens the time it takes.

Marcelnl

#19: Post by Marcelnl »

Yeah , got that, always use warm/hot water anyway!
LMWDP #483