Kafatek Flat Burr Monolith Grinder - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
CoffeeBar

#121: Post by CoffeeBar »

Bob_McBob wrote:Yes, that's correct, Compak R80 burrs. All the production flat grinders will have 75mm Mythos TiN burrs.

Kafatek Flat Burr Monolith Grinder
Thank you Chris for clarify this :)

mania

#122: Post by mania »

Thanks Chris & Bob for the company background info
Appreciated :wink:

Advertisement
kaizerzoze

#123: Post by kaizerzoze »

After a new Instagram post from Denis/Kafatek I can answer my own question. He grinds 2,5 pounds before he sends the grinder out. He writes that grind quality should increase further after another 10-20 pounds.

Nik

#124: Post by Nik »

Thank you Chris for the post. Just a little correction. The Monolith Flat that I have been using is actually one of the first production models of the Monolith with the R80 burrs. I do have Denis's prototype with the Mythos 75 burrs on the way for testing. I will report how the Monolith R80 compares with the Monolith Mythos 75 in pour over grind to start with. He is working hard to get the second run of production grinders out.
Bob_McBob wrote:Bob (Nik) is using a prototype with the R80 burrs right now.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#125: Post by mivanitsky »

Bob,

Thanks for being willing to test the 75 vs 80 for pourover. I hope there is little or no difference, which is what Denis says with respect to espresso. It would be nice to be able to use it for multiple purposes, even though espresso is the main priority for me.

HBchris

#126: Post by HBchris »

Has any one done any work or experiments in terms of the particle distribution for the new single dosing grinders: EG-1, monolith Flat, Monolith conical.

I would be curious, considering these dont have any added weight pushing on the beans, such as when grinder has a hopper full of beans, or when people single dose and put a tamper on top to add weight. Wondering how if the new single dosers would have a wider distribution spread and if any testing has been done in this regard.

Nik

#127: Post by Nik »

Mike, the head from Denis's FLAT Monolith test model with the Mythos burrs came a little while ago. I will be on the phone shortly for instructions in replacing the head on my FLAT with the R80 burrs. Bear with me until Sunday and I will have some comparisons.

Bob
mivanitsky wrote:Bob,

Thanks for being willing to test the 75 vs 80 for pourover. I hope there is little or no difference, which is what Denis says with respect to espresso. It would be nice to be able to use it for multiple purposes, even though espresso is the main priority for me.

Advertisement
kwantfm

#128: Post by kwantfm »

HBchris wrote:Has any one done any work or experiments in terms of the particle distribution for the new single dosing grinders: EG-1, monolith Flat, Monolith conical.

I would be curious, considering these dont have any added weight pushing on the beans, such as when grinder has a hopper full of beans, or when people single dose and put a tamper on top to add weight. Wondering how if the new single dosers would have a wider distribution spread and if any testing has been done in this regard.
I emailed Denis this exact question. He's beaten us to the punch line and already tested it. He didn't find any difference between single dose and putting weight on the beans in terms of refractometry or taste. His theory is that the slow rotation of the burrs in the Monolith (144 rpm) which is a lot slower than a Robur means that there is very little relative popcorning and that grind uniformity is much higher.
LMWDP #602

chrisbodnarphoto

#129: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

HBchris wrote:Has any one done any work or experiments in terms of the particle distribution for the new single dosing grinders: EG-1, monolith Flat, Monolith conical.

The EG-1's will be shipping to North America for the last week of September, so I'm sure the folks who will have all 3 can do some tests for us at that time? :)

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#130: Post by FotonDrv »

The last two Posts are referring to CONICAL grinders. The Robur, and Denis's first MONOLITH are CONICAL. This is the FLAT Burr MONOLITH Thread.

Not sure about putting a weight on an inclined burr plane and how or if it would work.

I bet Denis has tried...
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train