Frothing pitcher absorbs odor of milk?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jeffg2020

#1: Post by jeffg2020 »

Odd thing. I use a standard stainless steel pitcher to froth milk. I always clean it thoroughly afterwards with a dobie pad. And I'm careful not to overheat the milk. Yet after the pitcher is dry, there's an "off" smell to it: slightly brackish or rancid. It's faint, but there. The only thing I can think of is the steel is somehow absorbing the smell of the milk, yet I can't see how that's possible. My cappuccinos are quite good, so it doesn't seem to be affecting them. But it's bothersome: the pitcher should be odorless. Maybe I should soak it in vinegar?

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

You may just be extra sensitive to the odor of milk residues. Most people simply rinse a few times and let it dry upside down, then occasionally give it a good scrubbing with a detergent. See Best way to effectively clean milk pitcher? for a 3 page discussion on this topic.

I don't have a problem with my frothing pitchers, but when I use my stainless insulated thermos to keep cold half and half out during a picnic or backyard event, and don't get it promptly rinsed and cleaned, I get a strong milk odor that's hard to remove. I've tried a fancy milk-specific detergent (Rinza/PulyMilk) and am not convinced it's any better than automatic dishwasher detergent. A good bottle-brush scrubbing with some barkeepers friend (which is a fine abrasive that also contains oxalic acid) seems to be most effective.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by samuellaw178 »

Similar experience here, it's faint but it's there (wouldn't describe as rancid though). Don't think it affects the taste where it matters. It's likely because the interior is of brushed finish so you can't get it sterilely clean no matter how hard you scrub.

Made a pour-over coffee with the pitcher once and it was immediately clear (did clean the pitcher beforehand - not enough it seems).

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

It is protein breaking down and bonding to the surface.

Baking soda, or Oxiclean or similar - myself, I use dishwasher powder to make a solution and soak overnight.

If you're very sensitive, then the stuff they sell to clean/sterilize baby bottles, etc., will work. Milton tablets is one brand.

Storing the pitchers in the freezer will help - I don't know why, but it does.

(I eat a lot of whey - which causes/has the same issues.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

nuketopia

#5: Post by nuketopia »

If the stainless pitcher is finished properly and not scratched or pitted, it shouldn't do that. Dairy and food grade surfaces should be finished to #4A sanitary standards. That means they won't harbor residues or bacteria as long as the surface is intact.

But there are lots of stainless doo dads out that that are made poorly. Because finishing them to food service standards is expensive and less scrupulous makers know they can get $$$ for it as long as it is bright and shiny.

Or if you have a restaurant grade pitcher and it gets deeply scratched or pitted (never use chlorine based cleaners on stainless) it will lose its sanitary finish and harbor residue and bacteria.

Clean it with hot water and soap and have a good look at the inside. If there's any roughness or scratching, replace it.

Paul_Pratt

#6: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Are the pitchers 202 SS or 304 SS?

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by samuellaw178 »

Maybe the above are the reasons. Mine is a cheap incasa pitcher - it's stamped 18/8 Stainless steel-China at the bottom.

radudanutco

#8: Post by radudanutco »

samuellaw178 wrote:... it's stamped ...China at the bottom.
sorry, it tells the cause...
recently I've bought a couple of air-tight glass jars, also with the same "made in..."
after several nights of soaking in detergent, scrubing, replacing the 'ruber' gaskets, the interior still smells unpleasantly!
so, yes I've come to the belief that even "china" glass could have a smell :)

as for a normal SS pitcher - Motta, WMF etc. - it will cost 4-6 times the price of a general store chinese SS pitcher...

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by samuellaw178 »

Erm, I am not so sure about a sweeping generalization statement though. There is certainly good quality stuff coming out from China - if you're willing to pay. In most cases they're built to price because that's what the market demands - in my case, I just wanted a cheap pitcher that works and they deliver.

The Incasa brand is carried by some major cafe/retail stores here in Australia. This particular pitcher was purchased in a cafe. I would be surprised (pleasantly) if the quality pitchers like Motta don't ever retain any milk ordor at all from daily use (I will be honest, I don't wash it as hard as I should after use - a rinse or two with quick scrubbing till it looks clean is normally what I do - no soap. Unless there's a reason to go beyond).

nuketopia

#10: Post by nuketopia »

It's really difficult to tell. Improperly finished products can be sold for just as much as properly finished goods. Both are frequently made in China and often appear to be identical in many respects.

If a stainless pitch is retaining residues and odors after a reasonable hand wash in warm water and dish detergent, then I would have to say it was improperly finished and not to food-service sanitary standards. It would be hard to tell if they are not marked with some kind of agency approval. On the other hand, it doesn't make it unusable if it doesn't bother you. Even ones from restaurant supply vendors may not be all they are cracked up to be.

I have some Rattleware pitchers and the one that came with my La Marzocco and they are both sturdy and properly finished. I have some Krups pitchers received as well-meaning gifts that are clearly improperly finished. If you can catch your fingernail on it, it probably isn't finished to sanitary standards. Similarly, if it is highly polished, it may also not be a sanitary finish either.