Double or triple basket for 16-18g double espressos - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
urido

#11: Post by urido »

I have been told that I can use the double basket from my old portafilter and put it inside the bottomless tripleshot. That way I should be able to use double dose inside a bottomless trippleshot.

Does that make sense?

trumz

#12: Post by trumz »

A bottomless portafilter is simply a basket (filter) holder into which you can put any basket. Ebay sellers advertise their bottomless PF's as triple because they come with a big cheap basket that will take 20++ grams. All you gotta do is swap that big basket out and pop in your current basket.

Advertisement
urido

#13: Post by urido »

Now I understand. Thanks a lot.

whitedime

#14: Post by whitedime »

ive actually used both !

kjpage

#15: Post by kjpage »

Definitely double. Too much space between the shower screen (due to a basket too large) and top of puck will cause your espresso to extract extraordinarily quickly.

LukeFlynn

#16: Post by LukeFlynn »

I like the 17 gram Stradas, and the 18 gram VSTs. These work great for Stockfleth's.

The 16 gram IMS baskets are also nice.

urido

#17: Post by urido »

I have just received my new naked portafilter (for my cimbali m21). The double shot basket works great - looks great and tastes wonderful. Really.
But when I use the single shot basket water is dripping all over.
Any idea?

Advertisement
Sideshow

#18: Post by Sideshow replying to urido »

Singles are notoriously more difficult to pull than doubles. There are multiple discussion threads on this site addressing that topic.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by jwCrema »

urido wrote:I have just received my new naked portafilter (for my cimbali m21). The double shot basket works great - looks great and tastes wonderful. Really.
But when I use the single shot basket water is dripping all over.
Any idea?
BTW, I bought a 22g basket as an experiment and find I never use it. I use 18g baskets and am mulling buying some 15g baskets right now. I think I rationalized that more grams = more flavor, but that isn't automatically true.

For me, this whole espresso trip is a journey of enlightenment with the added bonus of getting something tasty as proof.

urido

#20: Post by urido »

it looks like when using the single basket the pressure of the machine is too high - there is not enough coffee powder to resist, thus I see steam coming out of the filter alongside with the coffee.
With the double there is enough coffee to withhold the pressure.
This is my guess why the single does not work for me.