Finally bought a gooseneck, finally seeing consistent results.

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

Since my BDB is currently out of commission and I don't have an extra $350 to shell out for a repair or replacement.. I'm using it as an opportunity to explore the world of pour over brewing. Up until now, I was using a 20oz milk pitcher + V60.. I was getting pretty great results, but it was difficult to coax more nuance out of the coffee... I attribute this to temperature loss and lack of flow control/speed. I was originally considering the Bonavita PID kettle, but I opted for the stove top model + digital thermometer instead (mostly due to the fact that I had a 20% off coupon for BBAB). I've already noticed improved consistency and quality in the cup... and it's just fun to see the stream flow off that spout...

I can certainly say that if you don't have a gooseneck, you should definitely invest in one! Both the Hario Buono and Bonavita stove top are both affordable.

Now I'm debating what thermometer to get.. any suggestions?

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Thermapen. $80 this weekend. I have retired all my other inconsistent/inaccurate thermometers.
http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

Why go with it? Took a cooking course a couple of years ago. Chef said, "Drop the dime -- get over it. Nothing compares to its accuracy."

I did and haven't looked back.
-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
Unrooted

#3: Post by Unrooted »

I use this one, which seems expensive enough, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0021AEA ... ref=plSrch

I have 2 of those because I thought I had lost one, they both read the same temp...

My kettle has two vent holes, I stick the thermometer in one of the holes.

turtle

#4: Post by turtle »

Goose neck does make it much easier to get a good consistent brew time.

I have a temp controlled Bonavita and a Russel Hobbs (for tea).

The goose neck is great for keeping a consistent water level in the dripper/grounds throughout the pour.

Now for tea you want to get the water in the pot as soon/fast as possible so a BIG open spout is what you need.

Sometimes if I am brewing press, I will just boil water in the microwave in a Pyrex measuring cup and use a thernopen to "stir" it around before pouring the bloom.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Cafeneo

#5: Post by Cafeneo »

turtle wrote:Goose neck does make it much easier to get a good consistent brew time.

I have a temp controlled Bonavita and a Russel Hobbs (for tea).

The goose neck is great for keeping a consistent water level in the dripper/grounds throughout the pour.

Now for tea you want to get the water in the pot as soon/fast as possible so a BIG open spout is what you need.

Sometimes if I am brewing press, I will just boil water in the microwave in a Pyrex measuring cup and use a thernopen to "stir" it around before pouring the bloom.

<image>
I have the fina gooseneck and nuwave portable induction - love this combo for speed of coming to a boil - then pouring for bloom etc

I bought the thermapen mk4. Love it's speed / accuracy and that its readout automatically adjusts for position - i.e. If thermo is horizontal vs vertical readout adjusts. Def pricey but if u signup for their newsletter - u will be rewarded with the occasional sale

turtle

#6: Post by turtle »

Cafeneo wrote:I have the fina gooseneck and nuwave portable induction - love this combo for speed of coming to a boil - then pouring for bloom etc
I have a 1550 watt 120vac induction.

I use a Cuisinox Roma stainless steel moka pot on it.

Starting with cold water I have a finished brew in under 3 minutes total.....

For boiling water there is nothing like an induction plate.

I will be getting a 2500 watt 240vac unit for our other home and building it into the counter.

Having your pasta water up to a boil in a few minutes is pretty amazing and worth the extra appliance in the cabinet (more useful than a toaster in my opinion, unless you really must have toast every morning)
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

CoffeeBar

#7: Post by CoffeeBar »

Or you could try out these K-Type Thermometers with Thermocouple Probe, which is what I currently using now. It is very cheap and I found it is very accurate as well. this thermometer was recommended by dr.gary :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TM-902C-LCD-Typ ... SwNSxVbsCw

Advertisement
Njoga

#8: Post by Njoga »

Hi guys, coffee farmer person and importer roaster seller here. New to the forum

Do you ever do pour overs

Ellejaycafe

#9: Post by Ellejaycafe replying to Njoga »

Yes, yes we do.
LMWDP #544

Njoga

#10: Post by Njoga replying to Ellejaycafe »

That is awesome, I have recently learnt that the best way to enjoy coffee is by pour overs, if done correctly with a correctly grown and roasted coffee, the complexity of coffee, especially its balance and sweetness come through, not to mention the caffeine.