Kafatek Flat Burr Monolith Grinder - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#71: Post by FotonDrv »

That is even better than I would have hoped for! Kudos Denis for making such a rock solid looking (and I am sure working) attachment.

BTW, loved the polished look of the Aluminum.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

bettysnephew

#72: Post by bettysnephew »

Something similar to that would be a great addition for the conical also.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#73: Post by mivanitsky »

That looks quite robust, and like something that I might actually use. I too would not complain if it showed up on the conical as well.

Apogee

#74: Post by Apogee »

This thing looks mean. I love big flats. Well done sir. I hope it's fast and simple to use for you. Risky choice. K30?

Nik

#75: Post by Nik replying to Apogee »

For me personally one of the benefits of both the Flat and Conical Monoliths is that they fit the single dosing needs of the home barista. The Speed of the K30 is not needed. I have had two K30's and they are nice grinders. There is heat generated which I believe affects taste. The conical I have is ground at 100 rpm's and the Flat is user selective between 20 rpm's and 800 rpms. I use 550 rpm's for the Flat which takes around 15 seconds with an 18 gram load. Just enough time for me to WDT while it's grinding. The other benefit is low level grinding sounds which is nice at 4AM in the morning.

BTW...I enjoyed reading your clever approach to extraction percents!

It's hot here in NC isn't it?

Bob

Apogee

#76: Post by Apogee »

I love the 4 season weather of NC. But it is toasty here indeed! And I have $2k worth of grinders but nothing that goes coarse enough to do cold brew well;/ funny hobby

Nik

#77: Post by Nik replying to Apogee »

Way past my comfort zone in Greensboro today.....96F

In this picture you will see a red oval and a rectangle. The rectangle shows the normal grind range of the Monolith Flat. "5" is center. As you can see the red circle points out the marker for current grind setting. Typical setting is in the 4-6 range. The grinder is now set about 2 inches past the "10" grind coarsest setting. I make my wife a pour over every morning using a Hario V60. This is the setting I use for her pour over. This gives me the proper bloom and time for her coffee. If not coarse enough it could be moved further counter clockwise. This is the first espresso type grinder that I have been capable of using properly for pour overs.

Stay cool!
Bob

kaizerzoze

#78: Post by kaizerzoze »

Hi Bob,

since you posted your pictures 2 more grinders have been sold. So there are just 14 left. I must a bit longer because of the shipment to Europe....Thanks for the pictures.

Good to know that you can use the grinder for pour overs as well.

You probably have the 80 mm burrs but it should matter for my question: Did you need to grind in? I was wondering if it is necessary because Denis tests the extractions yields of every grinder and I am not sure if the burrs need to be grind it for that.

I am also wondering if anybody (maybe you) has tested the Monolith against the EK43? M. Perger did that famous particle analysis against the Robur, K30 and Anfim S. What do you think how the Monolith compares?

Regards,
Thomas

Nik

#79: Post by Nik replying to kaizerzoze »

Tom,

I was shocked by the FLAT. I didn't think that I would use it that much since I was accustomed to the Monolith conical. Other than the Versalab I owned (hybrid conical/flat) I had never owned a pure flat grinder. I am addicted to the Monolith Flat. Thomas, it works great for pour over! I can grind directly into the paper filter which saves what could be a messy step.

I can't say that I noticed it needing to be ground in. I have used it daily for over a month now and I have noticed no change. I am looking forward to trying the Mythos burrs!

Personally I have owned a Robur E and two K30's but didn't have the Monoliths at the same time. All the grinders that I have owned in the past were high speed commercial grinders. All of them had high(er) noise levels as well, sometimes shockingly. For my use in my home I don't need speed. Both my Monoliths grind 18-20 grams in around 15 seconds which is fast enough for me. I could set the speed of the FLAT to grind much faster. I do run the speed up to grind what chaff/grinds are sticking to the topside of the burrs visible through the top of the hopper.

I have never used an EK43 but I do know that it would be out of scale in my kitchen. Denis has an Anfim S and would be better source of information than I would. Drop him a note and I am sure he will tell you.

Thanks again for the note.
Bob

Compass Coffee

#80: Post by Compass Coffee »

And then there were 13 available...
I had 2 EG-1s on pre-order figuring one for home and one to explore possibilities for it at work when I learned about the Monoliths existence and immediately ordered a conic. THEN the flat was announced! Well was able to cancel 1 of the 2 EG-1s (applying deposit to the balance remaining when the one is produced and ready to ship) and pulled the trigger on the Monolith Flat. I think the Monolith design and anticipated usage style will be more suitable for my home single dosing. Time will tell whether I would have preferred an EG-1 over the Monolith Flat...
Mike McGinness