Fiorenzato F4 - is play in adjustment ring normal?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
gr2020

#1: Post by gr2020 »

Just got an F4 today - liking it a lot so far.

A question, though, for those that have one - when I turn the adjustment ring, there is a bit of "play" in it, where even the hopper turns a bit. After that bit of play, the hopper stops turning and the adjustment goes as normal. It's not a lot - on the outside of the ring, it's perhaps 1mm or so, less than one of the notches.

The "play" isn't super loose, either - it's just a noticeable change in the force required to turn the ring, and a noticeable change in what's actually turning.

Have you F4 owners noticed the same thing?

gr2020 (original poster)

#2: Post by gr2020 (original poster) »

I discovered that I can see the play if I just rotate the hopper a bit. I made a video - if you watch, you can see the hopper lock screw (and the inside metal ring it's attached to) rotating just a bit, while the outside adjustment ring doesn't move.

It seems odd that the inside part there would rotate at all...no?

I sent a note to CC about it - although I'm thinking I might just take it apart, see how it's put together, and satisfy myself that it's not changing the grind when the inner part moves a bit. I'm not terribly bothered by it all, as long as it's not introducing any variability into the grind itself...

Advertisement
gr2020 (original poster)

#3: Post by gr2020 (original poster) »

Ok, I believe I've answered my own question here...but since there is precious little information about this grinder available online, I thought I'd post some pictures with what I found after taking it apart.

With the upper burr removed, we can see three springs around the outside which provide upward pressure on the upper burr:

The upper burr itself has three lugs which fit in those slots around the outside:

And there is a small amount of play in there, presumably to avoid too much friction when the upper burr needs to move up and down.

The hopper lock screw I showed in the video earlier is attached to the upper burr assembly, which is why it seems to have a bit of play.

I'm no longer concerned about this - when the upper burr assembly rotates that small amount, it's not affecting the height of the burr, only the rotation, so the coarseness of the grind shouldn't be affected at all. I think this is just how this unit is designed! It's amazing how much confidence you can get by taking something apart and learning exactly how it works. :)

rockethead26

#4: Post by rockethead26 »

Glad you figured it out. I didn't comment because I don't use the hopper and I never noticed the issue. Still loving my F4.

kize

#5: Post by kize »

That is perfectly normal. I've never moved my upper carrier by way of the hopper- so I haven't personally noticed . I use the adjustment ring. The movement you are showing makes sense though. The upper carrier floats under pressure of the 3 springs- and is what keeps the carrier adjustment consistent. Small gaps are needed to "float up and down". Do yourself a favor- clean the threads on the upper and lower carrier while you have it apart - then apply a small amount of food grade white lithium grease to the threads. It will keep the threads from galling and makes the adjustment ring real easy to turn. No worries. I really like mine- I'm one of the first owners. Enjoy your awesome grinder.