What is wow'ing you? - Page 60

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MB

#591: Post by MB »

Blazing Bean - Guatemalan Huehuetenango

For me it wasn't a variety with a strong leaning (like those that are clearly fruity or dry & nutty, or twangy, or even traditional chocolaty), nor was it a subtle one that keeps you on your toes picking out things you appreciate. Instead, it was one of those that from the first sip you went, Wow, that's good. Hard for me to explain, but great flavor.

Prepared in the EspressoForge: 20g in, no preheat, 10 sec at 2 bar, 3 sec ramp up to 8 bar, 25 sec descend to 6 bar and hold until blonding or about 32g out. (A long pull, but typical for this equipment.)

I do mostly lattes at work and share with co-workers. This Huehuetenango is one where I didn't have to ask how they liked it, I could see it in their eyes.
LMWDP #472

boulderbrew

#592: Post by boulderbrew »

I never really see much posted about Onyx Coffee Labs (Arkansas roaster), but I am a big fan. Just finished a bag of Colombia Leanor Rodriguez which is lactic acid honey processed. Onyx explains, "Using a combination of chambers with controlled environments they encourage certain bacterias during fermentation. As a result of this, not only is mucilage washed away but certain organic acids are in higher concentrations inside the beans giving us the opportunity to roast extraordinary flavors in the coffee." I highly recommend checking it out! http://www.onyxcoffeelab.com/coffee/col ... -rodriguez

caffiend

#593: Post by caffiend »

+1

Hudson

#594: Post by Hudson »

I'm on my second bag of Ritual's Last Exit and love it. It is a very light roast, but the acidity is really well balanced by a chocolate note. I'm getting a lot of fruit and milk chocolate without any harsh sour notes. My favorite espresso thus far has come from this bag :D
LMWDP #534

LukeFlynn

#595: Post by LukeFlynn »

Finca El Puente & Sipacapa - Counter Culture

Been brewing both of these coffees on the V60, I've got to say, I'm impressed by both.

Finca El Puente is delicious. This year's harvest has a very prominent grape note that I just can't get enough of... I never thought I would enjoy a coffee so much. If you haven't tried it, definitely pick up a bag.

Sipacapa is a little bit more tame in it's profile. It has a nice dark chocolate note to it with a clean plum like finish. I really love this coffee, it offers a nice contrast to the washed-process Ethiopians (such as Idido) that I drink often.

LukeFlynn

#596: Post by LukeFlynn »

Hudson wrote:I'm on my second bag of Ritual's Last Exit and love it. It is a very light roast, but the acidity is really well balanced by a chocolate note. I'm getting a lot of fruit and milk chocolate without any harsh sour notes. My favorite espresso thus far has come from this bag :D
Ritual's Last Exit is seriously good, I'd highly recommend it to anyone that digs straight espresso.

Unrooted

#597: Post by Unrooted »

I was one of the 2 very lucky winners of blazing beans giveaway, I received the Lunatic Espresso blend and it is VERY GOOD, it has a bit of a floral fruity flavor and tastes amazing as a pour over in my chemex. As espresso it has an orange-chocolate taste (imho). The second coffe I received was the Tanzanian Peaberry which was roasted darker than I enjoy.

Unrooted

#598: Post by Unrooted »

I tried the Tanzanian from Blazing Bean in a cappuccino and it tasted good.

dergitarrist

#599: Post by dergitarrist »

Square Mile's RED BRICK Blend. Currently 60% Rabanales (Guatemala) / 40% Montañas del Diamante (Costa Rica). Just so damn solid.

I know it's not their most interesting or spectacular coffee, which is why I bought the rest as well:

Can't wait to open them all up but for now I'm all giddy from too much coffee.
LMWDP #324

yakster
Supporter ♡

#600: Post by yakster »

I think you have a problem, a good one but a problem nonetheless. :lol:

This morning I was dispatched to Los Altos and when I completed the job I stopped at my favorite shop in the area Red Berry Coffee Bar practically across the street from where I was working. I had a Gibraltar from Temple's Dharma blend that was quite good but the SO pour-over from Linea Caffe, the Ethiopia Homacho Waeno Reserve was spectacular. It's a bit pricey, but worth seeking out. Free shipping on all orders, got this in my cart right now.

Update: bag came today, looking forward to brewing this up.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272