Profitec Pro 800 Lever w/PID - Page 11

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
buddman
Supporter ♡

#101: Post by buddman »

Whole Latte Love posted a review of the Profitec Pro 800 showing some of the internals.
Some drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

BartG

#102: Post by BartG »

Thanks for the link! This is an interesting overview.

I wonder how temp stable the grouphead is, and how long it would take to warm up.
A comparison with the Strega and Londinium would also be nice :-)

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#103: Post by JohnB. »

BartG wrote:I wonder how temp stable the grouphead is, and how long it would take to warm up.
A comparison with the Strega and Londinium would also be nice :-)
Since it's a dipper & uses the same basic group I'd imagine that it's pretty similar to my Bosco Sorrento. The group isn't fully up to temp until the upper end of the lever handle is pretty much too hot to hold. This takes between 1-1.5 hours. Boiler is up to temp much sooner but your shot water will be much cooler then when the group is fully heated.

The group will lose some heat while idle. If it behaves the same as my Sorrento once fully up to temp a shot with no flush would get you a peak brew temp of 198°F, a 2 second flush before that shot would get you a peak brew temp of 201°F. This assumes a p'stat setting in the 1.2-1.25 bar range & a room temp in the mid 70'sF.
LMWDP 267

Javier

#104: Post by Javier »

JohnB. wrote: If it behaves the same as my Sorrento once fully up to temp a shot with no flush would get you a peak brew temp of 198°F, a 2 second flush before that shot would get you a peak brew temp of 201°F. This assumes a p'stat setting in the 1.2-1.25 bar range & a room temp in the mid 70'sF.
If only Profitec would provide further information about the connection of the boiler to the main frame. Is there a reservoir (of sorts) at that connection (similar to the one in Bosco machines)?
LMWDP #115

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#105: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) replying to Javier »

I'd be surprised if anyone in the US has installed one of these machines yet, so you'll probably have to ask Profitec. Or give Mark Jackson at WLL a call; he may know.
- John

LMWDP # 577

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#106: Post by samuellaw178 »

From looking at the video, I'm quite sure there's no special reservoir like a Bosco. The boiler neck looks similar to my Brugnetti Aurora - which is just a brass/copper neck brazed onto the copper boiler. I imagine there's a tube that draws water from the boiler, and that tube connects directly to the group head (most dipper config group head already has an existing threaded hole at the back for attaching tube, it doesn't make sense not to use it).

The heat up time is almost certainly around 45 min -1 hour, not 1.5 hour because the group is connected directly to the boiler (and maybe the neck area is steam saturated too to help warm up, but that's just a wild guess), with just a gasket sandwiched in between. This gasket design (material & thickness) will be the key to determine if the machine overheats - it doesn't appear so.

This is how Brugnetti Aurora's boiler looks like (credit to Andyone posted in https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/rest ... tti.20634/)

Pro800:

It even has the casted port on the neck, but not tapped/drilled:

This is my guess how it looks like :

dominico
Team HB

#107: Post by dominico »

Discussion about dippers in general has been moved here: Temperature Management on Dipper Levers
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Advertisement
blackrobe1540

#108: Post by blackrobe1540 »

So, who has picked up one of these machines? I've had one in my kitchen for just under a week. So far, I love it. It certainly outpaces my current ability as a home barista.

I'm trying to learn more about the PID and how changing the boiler pressure changes the water temperature at the group head. Its default setting was 248F. Anyone have comments on that being too low/high?

John in Chicago
LMWDP #561

dolemiike

#109: Post by dolemiike »

Hey John

That is one sexy looking machine. Mine shows up on Monday. I'll post a picture here when it does.
LMWDP #562

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#110: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

Dan Kehn is in the midst of a Profitec 800 review. See this topic for more details.
- John

LMWDP # 577