ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Fluffeepuff

#11: Post by Fluffeepuff »

I think the V-Titan 64 is a step up from the Profitec T64 (a very small step)... but I'm still going to hold out to see what Mahlkonig & Compak bring later this year. I like that ECM is conscious of releasing branded products that look really sharp together.

thecatch83

#12: Post by thecatch83 »

mania wrote:You know that would be a great price but....

They cannot keep the EK43 in stock at $2464

The barista with the exception of the shorter stand is all that ++ a few things

So I would be very surprised to see it priced at sub $1500
Would be great to be wrong but if the motor & burr is the same I just don't see them dropping $1000
& adding variable speed, portafilter holder & more

But I would love it to be true :wink:
Well, the K30 is priced at $1600 and it's a commercial spec grinder........the barista is for home use specifically. According to the Mahlkonig USA rep, $1,500 is the projected price point.

Advertisement
LexsLavrov

#13: Post by LexsLavrov »

mania wrote::D
But what I see is a nice clean design with some nice sturdy features including the SS worm drive etc & price wise selling for roughly 1685 AUD or $1260 USD in Australia now meaning it will likely be even less in the US
This worm drive, actually, can be a problem.
I am using ECM automatik 64 for couple years by now. I noticed that due to vibration this worm slightly rotates towards coarse grind every time you use a grinder. After some time for constantly adjusting this back into position I made sort of spring with tooth, which prevent toothed wheel from unwanted rotation.

I hope with this new model they fixed this issue, but worm drive looks the same.

CoffeeBar

#14: Post by CoffeeBar »

thecatch83 wrote:Just wait for the barista...it will be a game changer, and blow everything away in the sub $1500 single dose market.
+1 Yes, worth to wait :D

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by jwCrema »

Would love to see someone do a 83mm version of this grinder - although I probably wouldn't be able taste the difference. Just knowing it was 83mm would surely fend off upgrade-it is.

The TiN burrs made a taste detectable difference on my SJ - the thing I like about that grinder v the ECM is the motor/drive system. I like the simplicity of the direct drive motor.

But, the ECM footprint & timer system looks awesome. ECM engineering is worth something based on what I've experienced - a tough choice (or, great to have a nice new option).

zimberto

#16: Post by zimberto »

LexsLavrov wrote:This worm drive, actually, can be a problem.
I am using ECM automatik 64 for couple years by now. I noticed that due to vibration this worm slightly rotates towards coarse grind every time you use a grinder. After some time for constantly adjusting this back into position I made sort of spring with tooth, which prevent toothed wheel from unwanted rotation. I hope with this new model they fixed this issue, but worm drive looks the same.
I have heard similar comments about this design and I'm going to guess that they haven't addressed it.

BTW your solution looks very well executed. It does however turn your step-less grinder into a stepped one. :)

BTW2, you like obviously like a darker roast that me.

LexsLavrov

#17: Post by LexsLavrov »

zimberto wrote: BTW your solution looks very well executed. It does however turn your step-less grinder into a stepped one.
I carefully measured the top of grinder case, especially holes for screws. Then I cut a plate with CNC mill at my job. Unfortunately I could not find stainless steel sheet and forced to use aluminum. Then I bent it and fixed at the grinder with original screws.
Yes, it is converted to stepped, but more important is STABLE. You just set it once and then you use it without a doubt. Although sometimes it even can push the spring back (say hello to aluminum) and click one step. But in this case there is a clicking sound - so you're warned.
And there is one more issue, more mystical. Sometimes grinder starts to grind just from touching it. You just to have touch any metal part and it will start! Most probably it is caused by static electricity, but this electricity is not noticeable. We at Saint Petersburg have relatively high humidity all over the year and it helps static electricity to discharge.
zimberto wrote:BTW2, you like obviously like a darker roast that me
I don't mind lighter roasts, but these beans easier and cheaper to buy. This one is Lavazza Crema e Aroma.

For Russians it is very common to make enhancements for things, even new ones. We used to it in USSR. Today in modern world we mostly don't need enhancements - I am using my plasma TV just in the same condition it was made :) Mostly because I don't watch TV at all, except Formula-1 championship :) But when I am trying to froth milk with ECM Casa IV it is clear form me that two 1mm holes for steam and boiler this small? It starts losing pressure after 30 seconds! So I just made a new nozzle with one 1mm hole - no problem! Holds pressure long enough to froth a pitcher.