Chicago HBer Meetup July 9 - Page 3

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
jitters

#21: Post by jitters »

Hi, I happen to be in Chicago on a family visit and saw this meetup post. I will try to attend tomorrow if I can. Most likely I'll arrive near the start and I'll have a couple hours to spend. Unfortunately, I didn't bring any San Diego beans to share. Tom

Mininger

#22: Post by Mininger »

Haven't been to one of these in a while, but should be there tomorrow. Will probably bring a salad with green goddess dressing again, if we can get a hold of good enough basil. It seemed like people enjoyed that last time I brought it (many moons ago).

(Joel, after some good years of service, the Brewtus I bought from you has been on the fritz for a while. Bitter, ashy espresso. Hoping maybe I get some pointers from people tomorrow on troubleshooting it.)

Barb
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Barb »

Jim,
Many thanks for a good meetup this past Saturday
Enjoyed, learned and very much appreciated the sage company.
Food and libations were a treat!

vberch

#24: Post by vberch »

How did it go guys? Any pictures and reflections?

earlgrey_44

#25: Post by earlgrey_44 »

vberch wrote:How did it go guys?
We certainly ate well! :D
Between Jim's party dishes, excellent wine, and the good things people brought, there was an appropriate spread to help welcome Joel and his wife visiting from the great Southwest, very good to see them again. Mininger got some input regarding the behavior of his Expobar - now that's some aftermarket support!

While there were a number of nice coffees to try, the main event was comparing blind cups from the matched pair of Elektras ground on the Baratza Sette and the Compak K10. Jim has accumulated quite a bit of data from medium flow trials like we did on Saturday, more ristretto trials, and brewed drip coffee trials which we will be hearing about soon enough.
The obvious impression was that the Sette is very fast, has nice ergonomics, and punches above it's weight to give the Compak a run for it's money.
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

vberch

#26: Post by vberch »

Thanks a lot Gary! I appreciate it!