Mazzer Super Jolly doserless wiring

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jw3ss3l

#1: Post by jw3ss3l »

Hello new friends,

I recently got my hands on an older model Super Jolly auto (as far as I know) that was in the process of being repainted and switched to doserless. I got a satisfactory paint job finished and was able to get the mechanics put together, but I'm having trouble with the wiring. I am not entirely sure what the previous owner did with the doser wires, but I believe he connected the lower microswitch wires and either removed or left disconnected the upper microswitch wires. I have not been able to locate any loose wires, however, so my best guess is he removed one pair.

I had enough courage to plug it in and turn it to the AC outlet. Nothing bad happened at first, so I flipped the power switch--it started right up, no sparks, no funny noises. But... when I flipped the power switch again, it remained on and running. Additionally, the schematics I keep finding all have larger terminal strips than my Super Jolly. Any ideas on what circuits are mis-wired?

turtle

#2: Post by turtle »

If you can get it to turn on, you may consider purchasing (or building) a timer box that runs an SSR to turn the SJ on and off based on time.

That is how I converted my SJ man to doserless.

Mazzer electronic doser kits

the grinder stays ON and the timer throws AC to the grinder cord using an SSR to switch on/off from the low voltage output from the timer unit.

This is the Auber unit I purchased which is for a manual grinder (not auto)

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=298

They do make one for the auto but depending on how you end up wiring your SJ you may only need the manual (on/off) model

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=482

the consistency for me over the past several years has been within 0.2 grams using that timer, grind to grind, which is more than accurate for my needs.

You can also search out a Gralab darkroom enlarger timer if you don't want to spend the tall $$$ on a dedicated espresso grinder timer.

I used my old Gralab 451 for a while before getting the Auber timer. The problem with the Gralab is that when you power it down, it forgets what you used last and you have to reset it to your time again (and again). BUT it will to 1/10 second increments.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

jchung

#3: Post by jchung »

Here is a thread which includes a download link for a PDF of the wiring diagrams for all the Mazzer grinders - Mazzer Major Wiring Diagram

When I converted my Mazzer Major Auto from doser to doserless... there were two sets of wires from the doser: 1) switch at the top of the doser, 2) switch at the bottom of the doser. When I removed the doser, I left the wires connected to the doser and removed them from the terminal block.

jw3ss3l (original poster)

#4: Post by jw3ss3l (original poster) »

Now, it doesn't look like the wiring on my machine matches the super jolly auto. Specifically, the terminal strip on mine has 4 pairs, while the diagrams show more. There's an old sticker tapped to the inside that sad super jolly auto--could it really be an amalgam of various parts?

jchung

#5: Post by jchung »

I believe the newer Mazzers have a lockout switch from the hopper collar while the older Mazzers do not. So the current diagrams will have a couple extra posts on the terminal block.

jchung

#6: Post by jchung »

Hmmm.. ok. Perhaps the upper switch went straight to the contactor instead of to the terminal block? My mazzer major's terminal block didn't match the wiring diagram in the PDF either. But that was primarily because my Major was old enough that it didn't have the hopper safety switch. Your SJ might be old enough that the diagram in the PDF doesn't exactly match the wiring in the SJ. But... looking at the wiring diagram for the auto, it seems like maybe the upper doser switch could just go directly into the contactor. But someone else who is better at reading at electrical diagrams should probably comment.

jw3ss3l (original poster)

#7: Post by jw3ss3l (original poster) »

It doesn't have the hopper safety switch, so it's probably an older model. I'll do some searching and see if I can find an older schematic.

Ellejaycafe

#8: Post by Ellejaycafe »

jchung wrote:I believe the newer Mazzers have a lockout switch from the hopper collar while the older Mazzers do not. So the current diagrams will have a couple extra posts on the terminal block.
These aren't on the newer super jolly. Just from the major and up. (To the best of my knowledge, my super jolly e purchased a year ago doesn't have one).
LMWDP #544

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

Just follow the wires coming from the auto fill switch (the metal flap) and jumper that and the sj will run as a manual
LMWDP #483

cycomachead

#10: Post by cycomachead »

If you email the La Marzocco Solutions team solutions.usa@larmazocco they'll probably be able to help you find a diagram. It's also possible the previous owner used some 'custom' parts, as I've found to be the case with my grinder.