Water dispenser spits steam

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
TimmyTweeks

#1: Post by TimmyTweeks »

Hello,
I'm a newbie to the espresso world.
I have picked up a 12 year old Astoria DIvina single group head espresso machine. Whenever I dispense hot water it will run for about 3 seconds and then start spitting very little water and alot of steam.
Would it be as simple as replacing the temperature sensor on the boiler unit?
Another note and maybe related to temp sensor, no matter how I pack the coffee or the grind the shot pulls very quick and very little creama
Any recommendations on what to check on the machine.

Thank you
Tom

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

TimmyTweeks wrote:Whenever I dispense hot water it will run for about 3 seconds and then start spitting very little water and alot of steam.
This diagram from What is the purpose of a vacuum breaker valve may help explain:

Quickmill boiler as it cools down from ~252 F to ~72 F

What's not shown in the diagram above is the water wand tube coming down from the top; it syphons off water from the top of the steam boiler, but not too much, otherwise the heating element would be exposed to air. If you're getting very little water, either the water level is too low, or the tubing has been compromised. An easy test is moving up the water level sensor probe (on the top-left in the diagram above). If more water is delivered, that's the problem.
TimmyTweeks wrote:I'm a newbie to the espresso world... no matter how I pack the coffee or the grind the shot pulls very quick and very little creama
Stale coffee or inadequate grinder are the most common causes. This and much more are covered in the Newbie Introduction to Espresso video series and The Home Barista's Guide to Espresso
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
TimmyTweeks (original poster)

#3: Post by TimmyTweeks (original poster) »

Dan,

Thanks for the reply I will investigate the water level probe AND review the available items for newbies, thanks again.
Tom

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

It is normal for a water wand in an HX machine to spit steam. The water in the boiler is heated under pressure, which raises the temperature beyond the normal boiling point. When the super heated water comes out the water wand it is at first cooled along the path and water comes out. As the path heats what comes out is super heated water which flash boils the minute it hits the lower pressure of a normal atmosphere. The manufacturers put a rather large nozzle at the end of the wand to help reduce the steam to water, but if you call for a lot of water you'll get steam...it's physics.