Mahlkonig EK43 Barista - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
aecletec

#81: Post by aecletec »

Shife wrote:Odd alignment routines have nothing to do with reliability.
They do when the end user finds they have to repeatedly align because it keeps on going out of alignment...

Filletfellini
Supporter

#82: Post by Filletfellini »

Wouldn't say Mahlkonig had bulletproof reliability. We got a couple grinders that had bad relays.. Had to take them apart and swap them out. Lots of bad main switches. Shear plates going like none other on some grinders and lasting forever on others.

TomC
Team HB

#83: Post by TomC replying to Filletfellini »

+1

Anyone who's needed to deal with Mahlkonig USA in the past 6 months knows how riddled with problems different parts of the K30 line are. NO manufacturer is immune to faulty parts once in a while, if they're in a tight, competitive market.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Mrboots2u

#84: Post by Mrboots2u »

Yep forgot about the rpm part ( if it makes it to the final version ) . for me everything else in the home isn't that important for the amount of shots you use it for .

Shife

#85: Post by Shife »

aecletec wrote:They do when the end user finds they have to repeatedly align because it keeps on going out of alignment...
Are you suggesting the EK mysteriously goes out of alignment? I know there is a severe lack of concrete data in the realm of coffee grinding, but you are referring to one of the most vetted and uniform grinders on the market.

Commercial grinder manufacturers have paid little attention to ease of alignment by the end user. In my opinion this is because they never intended for the person stuffing portafilters to be messing with them. I applaud the DIYers who are inventive enough to use aluminum foil and soy sauce in place of the $$$ shim stock and layout fluid we use in precision manufacturing. In no way do I see that as a sign of poor reliability. If the EK is unreliable, I'll happily take one of somebody's hands..

aecletec

#86: Post by aecletec »

Shife wrote:Are you suggesting the EK mysteriously goes out of alignment?
Merely relaying what I've read - I make no claims from personal experience.

Mrboots2u

#87: Post by Mrboots2u replying to aecletec »

I have had no such experience with mine - there are three of four people I know who have em also ( home and commercial use ) . No reports of this .
Perhaps link us to what you have read . There is a common and simple user error when cleaning that can cause problems ...
Cheers

aecletec

#88: Post by aecletec »

Sorry I don't have links on hand to the facebook/slack/blog/forum posts I've read over the months/years.
Good point about user error!

Fluffeepuff

#89: Post by Fluffeepuff »

Has anyone heard anything about the EK43 Barista being compatible (or out of the box capable) with the grind-by-weight capability that Mahlkonig said was coming??

Terranova (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#90: Post by Terranova (original poster) replying to Fluffeepuff »

Grind by weight doesn't work with such a fast grinder like the EK43.