Kees van der Westen - Something will be unveiled in WOC. - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
nickw

#81: Post by nickw »

JohnB. wrote:From reading the posts/reviews Slayer V3 users have posted it would seem that the Slayer's fixed volume extended wetting of the grounds with the needle valve is only really useful for making or trying to make light brew roasts palatable as espresso. Most seem to agree that it does nothing positive for more traditional medium roasts.
There's a benefit for grinding finer on all roast types, not just being able to extract light roasts.

Rather than type it, Jason does a good job of describing the benefits of a finer grind here:
http://youtu.be/A-geHDnFOdc?t=1m20s

And here's one my fav coffee video's: Joel from Fratello pulling shots on an early Slayer. Their Godfather and Blackjack blends are about a Full city, Full City+, respectively. So you can see the benefits of a finer grind even on a dark roast coffee's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrzZKz-Cznw
Note: Jason from Slayer is filming this and that's his brother towards the end of the video.

Hopefully Kees new system will let people use a similar grind.

There's also many new pics of the unit on Instagram I can post when I get home tonight.

indend007 (original poster)

#82: Post by indend007 (original poster) »

I hear that Kees also considering pump delay system with new PPIC system.
It tells to us that moooooooooooooore infusion will be available on spirit and speedster.

And A.C.E . Sysyem is also making flow-profiling module for SPIRIT.

So Kees have more choice to pre-infusion.

ShelbiRyan

#83: Post by ShelbiRyan replying to indend007 »

Pump delay as in pump off and line pressure? Or pump delay as in pump off (no line pressure) and a bloom period? Either way, very interesting.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#84: Post by JohnB. »

Since the Speedster has manual PI I can't see a pump delay being of much use. Maybe just for the Spirit?
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#85: Post by JohnB. »

nickw wrote:There's a benefit for grinding finer on all roast types, not just being able to extract light roasts.
Hopefully Kees new system will let people use a similar grind..
There's a big difference between a finer grind & the extremely fine grind used for the Slayer style light roast extractions. Kees has long talked about the benefits of a finer grind combined with a thorough soft infusion. My comment about the medium espresso roasts was referring to the extremely fine grind/extended PI (20+ seconds) used for the light roasts. Hard to judge the exact length of the PI in that Fratello video you linked but I didn't see the extended times used for the light roasts.
LMWDP 267

indend007 (original poster)

#86: Post by indend007 (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:Since the Speedster has manual PI I can't see a pump delay being of much use. Maybe just for the Spirit?
Yes, it's actually for spirit.

nickw

#87: Post by nickw »

JohnB. wrote:There's a big difference between a finer grind & the extremely fine grind used for the Slayer style light roast extractions. Kees has long talked about the benefits of a finer grind combined with a thorough soft infusion. My comment about the medium espresso roasts was referring to the extremely fine grind/extended PI (20+ seconds) used for the light roasts. Hard to judge the exact length of the PI in that Fratello video you linked but I didn't see the extended times used for the light roasts.
Ya, sorry, they're quickly cutting to different shots in the video, so it's hard to follow. When they talk about 2 and 4 bar pre-infusions, I think they're talking about the bars reached under PI after full saturation at that given low flow rates. So the "2bar" group would have a lower pre-brew flow rate than the 4bar. With that in mind, in the video's you can see them letting the puck reach full saturation under prebrew (and waiting until they have about 2-5g in the cup) before the hit it will full pressure. Taking a guess on time, the 4 bar infusion is probably around 25-30 seconds, and the 2 bar is probably around 30-35 seconds. Plus a a few seconds more (3-5s) based on how much they let fall into the cup before they hit it.

You'd take a similar approach with a light roast.

So I'm very hopeful the PPIC will allow for a similar grind level and shot. :)

Kees also posted a neat video today:

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#88: Post by JohnB. »

Some background info in this article: http://sprudge.com/kees-van-der-westen-scae-102330.html
LMWDP 267

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#89: Post by FotonDrv »

Interesting stuff. Leave it to KvdW to create something new.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

AssafL

#90: Post by AssafL »

If I understand it correctly, the only thing the barista sees is the spring compress as the chamber fills up. You don't actually see the lower piston (only the spring compression upper piston).
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.