Using Mazzer Major grocery for espresso? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by jwCrema »

I modified my Major to use a contact switch to single dose. This means it grinds when you push the switch.

I also installed the anti-static screen.

I grind directly onto the scale with the Major:

I originally did the grind to a basket with a Super Jolly, and liked it so well I continued.

I do not spray water on the beans. What minor clumps I do see are tiny and are broken up by the tamper just resting in the basket. The Mazzer doesn't appear to be designed for water (steam, mist, or liquid) injection of any kind in my view. But I don't claim to be a Mazzer engineer.

millcityroasters

#12: Post by millcityroasters »

CoffeeBeetle wrote:I'm afraid i made a little abbreviation mistake. I meant the technique where you spray a bit of water on the beans to avoid static, like aecletec describes.
When you were singledosing Mill did you need any sort of modding to the timer? Or was this only necessary when you stopped? Good to hear that this is definitely doable. I look forward to having more control when i dial in, and i expect at least a little better espresso when when moving from the burrs on the Lido to those monsters on the Major.
I single dosed before I installed the timer. No hopper, just 18-21 grams weighted with a 57mm tamper on top of the beans.

Advertisement
ravco

#13: Post by ravco »

I used a Mazzer Major Drogheria (grocery) to single dose for espresso. I quite liked it. I took the screws out, that fix the tube to the rest. The spring lever, meant to hold the bag, holds the tube in place. By lifting the lever you can easily pull out the tube and sweep out the chute, leaving very little retention. I fixed a flap over the exit hole of the chute to slow down the grinds and reduce static. I shortened the flap till the grinds flowed nicely.

G.F.

#14: Post by G.F. »

I used to have a major grocery to. I was happy with result.
You can also paint it.

CoffeeBeetle (original poster)

#15: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

millcityroasters wrote:I single dosed before I installed the timer. No hopper, just 18-21 grams weighted with a 57mm tamper on top of the beans.
So it's possible to put the beans in the grinder and keep them down with a tamper, without installing the hopper? I haven't seen a Major in person so i don't know how it looks without the hopper, but this would be a perfect solution.

Marcelnl

#16: Post by Marcelnl »

That is exactly what I'm doing, but the throat is a bit small so I plan to find a short tube to act as hopper.
Mine was a regular Major, works perfectly with a darkroom timer attached.
LMWDP #483

CoffeeBeetle (original poster)

#17: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

Just replying so others can benefit from the thread.
I got the Major and it works perfectly for my needs. Don't know what this technique is called,( i suspect single dosing, but i won't use that term since i'm not sure) but it goes like this: I weigh the coffee i need every time i pull a shot and just run the grinder until all the coffee has been ground. The Major can hold plenty of coffee for one shot without any kind of hopper and with something over the opening the beans won't jump out.
I basically use the Major like one would use a hand grinder. For me this is perfect and just what i was looking for, but i assume most would see this routine as unnecessarily time consuming.