South Florida specialty coffee shops - Page 6

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by emradguy »

Thanks for the news Josh! I think I'll be out there again in July, so hopefully he'll have the newest place open by then. Even so, given you were able to make it to his current new location, I guess all would not be lost if he runs behind schedule.
LMWDP #748

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#52: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Sure thing. For any locals who might be visiting/reading, Grind Coffee Project's Kendall location's grand opening is happening all weekend long. I hope to be able to drive down.

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheGrindCoffeeCo/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_grind_coffee/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/GrindProject

p.s. Kendall is in Miami.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Advertisement
jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#53: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Sorry for the lack of news lately, folks. It's been that kind of school year. Anyway, there's lots to report. Please check out the first post in the thread, which I've updated. I've also got a serious coffee force to be reckoned with out of Miami, Andrew Giambarba, perusing the thread to suggest changes/additions/etc. To be continued...

A few highlights:

- Camila Ramos's new shop, All Day MIA, will be opening soon in Wynwood. Her pop-up was sensational, and I'm expecting great things from this place. Seems like they'll be multi-roaster; we'll know soon enough.

- There are now monthly coffee meet-ups in Dade Co. See here for details: https://www.instagram.com/nowbrewing.coffee/. I haven't made it to one yet, but I'll fix that soon!

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#54: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Forgot to mention that two reputable sources have confirmed to me that Counter Culture will be opening a training center in Miami within 12-18 months. Something to look forward to.

newrevolution123

#55: Post by newrevolution123 »

The best thing you can do for yourself in South Florida is to purchase a good machine and grinder and make the coffee yourself at home. If you expect to find great places for coffee then you will be in for a major disappointment. I have tried several highly-rated places from Miami Beach down to Coral Gables and all proved to be a total waste of time and money.
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#56: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

^^^ Hi, Christian. I hear you, though I can't say I share your uniform disappointment. Which places did you hit? Espresso only? Hope to see you around one of these days! Cheers.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#57: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Quick updates (to main post as well):

1. All Day MIA in Wynwood [Dade] is now open. See Instagram for updates. Looks killer.
2. Threefold now has a second location in S. Miami.
3. Switchbox opened today in Oakland Park [Broward]. Promising! I went by.

Advertisement
jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#58: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Heads up: Grind Coffee Project's grand reopening in Ft. Lauderdale will be later this summer if all goes well. In the meantime, their FTL pop-up is now closed, but their Miami location is still open. Keep an eye out on Instagram if you're curious, e.g.

Headala

#59: Post by Headala »

Someone earlier mentioned Perq in Sarasota. I visited them, was fantastic. They care very deeply about the quality of their espresso.

More close to home for me is Vespr in East Orlando. I visit them weekly. Their baristas are well trained, their machine is always dialed in, and they also care about the quality in the cup and the experience for the drinker.

I know it's not true S. Florida but just thought I would add those data points.

realdoctor

#60: Post by realdoctor »

I know this is a S.Florida thread, but there has been brief mention of places north of Orlando so I thought I would chip in.

When I am not in Vienna, I'm often in Gainesville. Unfortunately, I can't say much that is positive about coffee there. A couple of undistinguished local roasters and one shop with ambitions, but that sums it up. The UF kids are very happy with Starbucks. Despite the fact that Gainesville is a university town, a decade of intermittent visits to Gainesville has not produced much optimism about coffee or food. At heart, it is still a small, middle-American town.