[SOLD] Starter roasting gear

Used espresso or coffee stuff you hope to sell or buy.
[creative nickname]

#1: Post by [creative nickname] »

I've held on to this stuff for a while out of sentimental value, but we just moved to a smaller house and I have nowhere to store it. I honestly don't know if there is a market for this sort of thing, but I thought I would post them just in case. The parts alone cost at least what I'm asking, but the real value would be in not having to figure out how to do all of this for yourself, as I did.

---

Heat gun/bread machine roaster ($100 + shipping) -- SOLD:

I got this breadmaker for about $50 off of craigslist, ripped out its electronic guts and heating element, and rewired it so that that stirrer runs forever if you flip the switch I installed. There is a tight-fitting insertion point for a heatgun nozzle and an venting hole to which you can hookup a jury-rigged chaff collector. There are drilled insertion points for thermocouple probes as well, designed so that one probe is buried deep in the bean mass and the other sits in the airflow from the heatgun to measure MET. The heatgun is wired into a continuously variable dimmer switch for smoother profiling adjustments. Thermocouple and probes not included, but I can point you in the right direction.

I found this most useful for doing batch sizes between 200g and 300g.

---

Popcorn popper roaster ($50 + shipping):

This has an installed thermocouple probe for monitoring temperature, and the heating element is wired into a dimmer switch to allow you to either do slower overall roasts or adjust your heat to achieve some profiling control.

Ideal batch sizes for this would be in the 50-60g range, if memory serves me correctly. I can't guarantee how long the heating element will last, as these do have some tendency to burn out if you use them a lot. This one is pretty much brand new as I had just replaced the popper before I started setting up the HG/BM, after which I never really used this one anymore. Probe is included but you'll need to supply your own thermocouple measurement device.
LMWDP #435