Fika: to have coffee - a Web Documentary Series - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
fabians.ch (original poster)

#11: Post by fabians.ch (original poster) »

Hello there,

Just wanted to let you know that the 2nd episode of my web series about the Swedish fika culture called "fika: to have coffee" has now been released.
Fabian

RioCruz

#12: Post by RioCruz »

VERY professional, Fabian! Well done! Thanks for sharing the series with us.
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

#13: Post by fabians.ch (original poster) »

Thanks RioCruz!

blueface

#14: Post by blueface »

Thanks Fabian for the great works about Fika culture in Sweden :wink: Can't wait for the third series :mrgreen:

#15: Post by fabians.ch (original poster) »

Glad you like it, blueface! I'm actually about to put on the finishing touches to episode 3 :)

tohenk2

#16: Post by tohenk2 replying to fabians.ch »

Well done! Also looking forward to the rest ... :)

#17: Post by fabians.ch (original poster) »

happycat

#18: Post by happycat »

Don't know if you want feedback, feel free to ignore.

I love documentary and movies and interviewing.

Documentary can be powerful when used to tell a story... That's something to explore in the future (vs talking heads giving similar abstract information in response to groups of standardized questions). Interview can be very powerful when you use questions as a jumping off point to drill deeper into idiosyncratic personal differences told through personal stories. Those stories provide patterns you can observe to highlight broader themes. Personal stories are engaging and relatable and can take you into unexpected directions.

Similarly, visuals can very powerfully tell stories on their own. Old Hitchcock films show this kind of mastery of storytelling through visuals rather than focusing on head shots with filler B-roll (shots you use to cover transitions in head shots). Cinema verity style can force you into more complex storytelling when you remove the narrator and instead rely on the participants to develop and advance the story in their own words.

Best of luck.
LMWDP #603

#19: Post by fabians.ch (original poster) »

Hi happycat,

I think I get where you're going with the storytelling/narrator and documentary points. The documentary part is not too strong in this series. It technically belongs in this genre, but it's more about giving impressions and telling the little stories. In terms of the stories told (or not told), there's going to be more of this in the following episodes. Also, more concrete topics dealt with.

Thanks, feedback is certainly appreciated.

All the best,
Fabian

LukeFlynn

#20: Post by LukeFlynn »

Props to you!

Absolutely beautiful production and presentation.

Keep up the good work.