Espro P5 Glass French press

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
IMAWriter

#1: Post by IMAWriter »

BACKGROUND
I'd like to offer a consumer review regarding Epro's http://espro.ca newest French Press, the P5.
As opposed to the highly regarded all polished stainless steel double walled Espro Press, this new press is a single walled solid glass press. What makes this version stand out from other manufacturer's press pots is this model has a very cool variation of the previous double filtered Espro, now called the "twist lock" filter. It is quick to connect, quick to separate and greatly aids the cleaning process, which takes only seconds. This unique double filter assures as clean a cup as possible from a press pot.

As to the glass, a quote from Espro: "A two year collaboration with Germany's Schott-Duran delivers 40% thicker glass that is more robust, and stays hotter longer."

Years ago, previously (on another web site) I reviewed the 2 Espro "Torroid" milk pitchers.
So, while at the Espro SCAA booth, I re-introduced myself, and sampled some brew from this new press. I was immediately surprised, and even more, impressed by the total lack of any sediment. In appearance, the cup was slightly less transparent than my vac pot brew, but with significantly more body.
I quickly made it known I don't own a press pot and in fact, wasn't fond of the oily, somewhat overly viscous brew from my long ago French press, made by a well known manufacturer.
That said, after Chris and I chatted for a few moments, he handed me the exact model that made the tasty sample (the P5) and asked if I'd use it for a while, and perhaps write a few words up here. I said I would, but it would have to work for me at home as it did at the show or there would be he!! to pay!
Or something like that.

IN USE

You can see from the photo this press is solidly packed away in it's carton. The glass is marked with designations for 1 serving or 2, and there are lines designated for tea brewing. (There is a separate optional tea filter, quite inexpensive.. If you purchase this press and like tea, the tea filter works beautifully. Jumping ahead of myself here.
Anyhow, as mentioned, the coffee filter is a 2 piece screw together, that makes cleaning a snap. They fit together in seconds, and screw on to the plungers stainless stem.
I decided to brew a long familiar El Salvador light-medium roast, 7 days post roast, ground with a Baratza Forte BG. The water was heated just before boil, allowed to cool to 202f. I had preheated the glass body beforehand, something Espro and I recommend. I ground the coffee, dumped in, slowly poured in about 150ml to cover the grounds, and let it express some CO2 for 30 seconds, then slowly poured in the rest of the water. I let stand 30 seconds, stirred gently with a chop-stick, and covered as directed. BTW, there are printed directions on the glass, so even a dummy like me can't fail to get it right. I waited exactly 3:30 post stir.
I plunged down slowly, till I hit bottom. To make the test reasonably consistent, I had 2 mugs, both slightly warmed with some hot water. I alternately poured a couple of ounces into each cup, till both were filled. There was still a wee bit left, but I had the mugs filled.
With the requisite amount of coffee (YMMV) in the glass body, I was able to make about 20 oz (about 630 ml), or 2 good sized mugs filled to the top.

I drank the first mug greedily (it smelled awesome) after allowing a minute or so for some cool down. I didn't measure the resulting temperature, but for ME it was still just a wee bit too hot. Anyhow, the coffee was as I know it to be when brewed in my Kalita 185, another brewer I enjoy. Again, as it was in Atlanta, the Espro P5 brew exhibited more body, without the usual artifacts I used to get from other press pots. The bottom of the cup was nearly free of any proof I had used a press pot.

THE VERDICT
I'm loving the P5, something I thought I'd never say about a French Press. It is easy to use, incredibly easy to clean and maintain, and consistent, when using good coffee properly ground for French Press.
Highly recommended!

IMAWriter (original poster)

#2: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

Just a few factoids that somehow I forgot to include:
From the website: "The New ESPRO Press P5 is one brewer with three brew methods: grit free French Press, pour-over style Paper Filtered Press Coffee, and loose leaf Tea Press."
I forgot to mention included in the packaging was a pack of paper filters.

Also, for those who consider this important, the filters are BPA, BPS and phthalate free.

I'm experimenting with shorter brew times, say 2:30 and a nearly drip grind. Seems a wee bit more complex, but not any added silt so far.

My son says the separate tea filter makes the best tea he's ever had. He is addicted to "specialty quality" teas from places like Teavana. He is able to double brew (as recommended by them) and this gives him twice the volume. I'm starting to get addicted to tea. :lol:

Matt44

#3: Post by Matt44 »

Thanks for the review, Rob -- really helpful!

Bodka Coffee

#4: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Interested. I had been thinking about a French press and this may just fill the bill for me.

#5: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to Bodka Coffee »

You will love this thing. I can't wait to order some coffee from you to put in this gizmo. It's blood simple, foolproof.

I do recommend the pre-heat, as they do, as it is THICK glass. I love the mechanism they have that prevents the glass from coming out the shell, until you want it to do so.

Matt, I now look forward tom making tea with my son. before, it was a chore with the metal ball, etc. What is cool, is that the leaves don't seem to disintegrate, as they did in the ball, turning in to mush. Not with the filter. The tea filter is about half the size, as obviously with this medium P5 you'll note do as much tea. being able to immediately after decanting, have another go, same tea, is great. The 2nd batch is nearly as well brewed as the first, especially considering the tea has lost a wee bit of it's essences.

Cheers.

#6: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

Bodka Coffee wrote:Interested. I had been thinking about a French press and this may just fill the bill for me.
You will love this thing. I can't wait to order some coffee from you to put in this gizmo. It's blood simple, foolproof.

I do recommend the pre-heat, as they do, as it is THICK glass. I love the mechanism they have that prevents the glass from coming out the shell, until you want it to do so.

Matt, I now look forward to making tea with my son. before, it was a chore with the metal ball, etc. What is cool, is that the leaves don't seem to disintegrate, as they did in the ball, turning in to mush. Not with the filter. The tea filter is about half the size, as obviously with this medium P5 you'll note do as much tea. being able to immediately after decanting, have another go, same tea, is great. The 2nd batch is nearly as well brewed as the first, especially considering the tea has lost a wee bit of it's essences.

Cheers.

Edit for typo

borisblank

#7: Post by borisblank »

Have you tried using the paper filters they say on the website are included for a cleaner brew?

#8: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to borisblank »

No. For ME, the object was to see if I could duplicate what I tasted...and observed at the Espro booth, sans paper, which, in my brew wasn't used.
I suppose it would be somewhat like a Clever, Bonavita Immersion,etc. This is just so durn easy, the coffee is hotter than with either of the immersion brewers, and I'm loving then body.

That said, for some who may feel unfiltered coffee is a problem, bang, a filter, and your OFF to the races!

Randy G.

#9: Post by Randy G. »

Hey there Rob,
The glass press is an amazing piece of design. IMO, anyone who can still drink coffee from a "traditional" press pot after tasting the brew from an Espro has been drinking Folgers just a little too long... :wink:

Have your son check these folks out:
http://www.twohillstea.com/
It has been a while since we bought from them, but all the teas we received were very nice, indeed!
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#10: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

Hey Randy!
Great seeing you at the SCAA. I haven't had time to read your take on this device, but saw your "mention" on the Espro site. I'm really a newbie with a Press pot, so I'd encourage folks to visit your awesome site for anything coffee.
Thanks for the link.
BTW, no one has called me on a OBVIOUS...at least to me "fox paws."
No mention of price! It's currently $59.95. Significantly less than the beautiful metal version, but with a filter mechanism certainly as good. Most afternoons, this is my personal go to coffee device.