Is my tamper too small for a stock Bezzera double basket?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
SuchBrewSoCoffee

#1: Post by SuchBrewSoCoffee »

Hi, I have done more than 100 cups I believe, and I have not had even one single centered flow. Most of the time it starts about 1cm from the center, no matter what pressure was applied or how coarse was the grind.
Do you think it is simply a small tamper issue? This one is about 57mm (though should be 58mm), and it surely does not fit snugly even in an empty basket.

canuckcoffeeguy

#2: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Yes, your tamper looks too small for your basket. And since you say it's a 57mm tamper, that's also proof. For a good, evenly dense puck you need a tamper that fits your basket snug. Otherwise you risk side channeling and other problems.

SuchBrewSoCoffee (original poster)

#3: Post by SuchBrewSoCoffee (original poster) replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

It's this one http://www.stoll-espresso.de/tamper-kon ... -58mm.html
Forgot to mention I do WDT.

jontyc

#4: Post by jontyc »

You could try nutating around the rim if you haven't yet.

Also check to make sure your shower screen isn't dirty, or holes in the shower screen holder blocked.

#5: Post by SuchBrewSoCoffee (original poster) replying to jontyc »

I nutated and I clean the shower screen regularly. I am pretty sure it is the tamper issue, since after this many pulls I should have at least one decent extraction by random.

jontyc

#6: Post by jontyc »

Although I also used a 57mm tamper in a Bezzera double for quite a while, I never had a naked PF at that stage to notice. Eventually bought a 58mm tamper and a naked and extraction was centered. However only when tossing the Bezzera double and buying an aftermarket one (called a Precision basket here in Australia), did I start getting those beautiful tiger-stripped syrupy extractions that take ages to blonde and the shots jumped up a level. Might be worth trying, could also solve your problem. I do find even the 58mm tamper is too small for my liking as grinds will stick to the edges of it. I should have sought a 58.4mm from the sound of it.

#7: Post by SuchBrewSoCoffee (original poster) »

Perhaps it is time to try new basket. As far as I understand folks recommend Espressoparts HQ14 baskets
Maybe I shall buy IMS 200 shower screen also, or even try their baskets as to avoid shipping HQ from USA.
I just need to figure out which are the best without buying them all.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

Most 58mm baskets are also not 58. There will be some minor variation but the one you have has a lot of space.

If you happen to get a La Marzocco ridged (with the spring clip) triple basket, they tend to run small and need a 57mm tamper. The LM HQ baskets are like the VST baskets and take a standard 58mm tamper. You can get one of the 'super tight fit made for VST basket' tampers but it may not fit your normal 58mm basket depending on the tolerance of the basket.
Dave Stephens

#9: Post by SuchBrewSoCoffee (original poster) »

Well, I just bought IMS IMS 14 - B70 2TC HC 24E Filter (12/18 g), IMS E61 Shower Screen for E61 200 and convex TORR base ø 58.4.
I hope I did not make any errors.

BartG

#10: Post by BartG »

I would leave the standard strega shower screen as is, nothing wrong with it.
Your new tamper will fit much better (I even went for a 58.5mm model for the HQ baskets I use with my strega). But I doubt the tamper will do much to improve channeling and proper pour. A good WDT technique and uniform, level tamping is probably the most important for that (together with a good grinder, but you have an HG1, no problem there :-))