Bean Recommendations for Espresso Forge?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MB

#1: Post by MB »

I will be using the Espresso Forge at work, and would appreciate bean recommendations. I am looking for:
  • Sweet & Chocolaty
    Good as straight shot and stands up to milk drinks
    Accessible espresso for uninitiated workmates
    Not too pricey as I am sharing regularly
I plan to brew without preheating, so I imagine that would help with the direction I am trying to take this.
LMWDP #472

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

Under those conditions I might go for Vivace Dolce or Sweet Blue.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

dominico
Team HB

#3: Post by dominico »

You could also try one of the higher quality Italian blends: Kimbo bar espresso blends have been popular on these forums lately as a rather tasty Italian blend. I have personally tried the Extra Cream blend and liked it, they make for very chocolate ristrettos.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

canuckcoffeeguy

#4: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Good suggestions so far regarding the profile you're seeking. Since you're in SF, you could also try Mr. Espresso. I've seen them recommended previously for what you're looking for.
http://mrespresso.com/coffee/espresso/

And perhaps another good single origin Brazil would work well, from any number of roasters. Daterra does some very nice Brazils. Sweet Blue already mentioned.

MB (original poster)

#5: Post by MB (original poster) »

Thanks a bunch - I'll start with the Sweet Blue and see how it goes.
LMWDP #472

spressomon

#6: Post by spressomon »

Still liking Colorado's Buena Vista Roaster's Black Canyon Blend in my EF V2.0. Just pulled 4-days worth out in the Nevada desert. If you pull it right you'll get liquid Snicker's bar...or very close. At home where ambient room temp is higher than morning camp's its not necessary to preheat the Forge...so pull the Black Canyon lower brew temp like most darker roasts...22g in a 26.5 IMS basket...10-second pre-infusion at ~40psi...then ramp up slowly to 120psi...pulls wonderfully. Too hot or to much pressure and you'll miss the mark.

Another that was a favorite although its been quite a while since I bought last: Adventure Coffee Roaster's Sunrise Breakfast Blend (Tucson). Less caramel than the above but a very sweet, milk chocolatey & toasted nut espresso.
No Espresso = Depresso

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

In SF, Cafe Trieste Espresso blend. Pulled at 176F it's delicious. They pull it too hot in the cafe.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

MB (original poster)

#8: Post by MB (original poster) »

Finally got things tuned up at work and pulled Bodka Brazil Daterra Sweet Blue for the first time. 20g, 10 sec. preinfusion at 1-2 bar, gentle increase to 8 bar, slow descend to 6 bar over 25 sec., hold at 6 bar until stop at 27g. A bit tight, but richly delicious. None of the beans I have tried before had this much nuttiness. The caramel and nut flavor was not subtle, so I'm happily surprised. Thanks for the recommendation.

LMWDP #472

MB (original poster)

#9: Post by MB (original poster) »

Thanks for the recommendations. The takers at work have been very receptive. :lol:

Now for variety, any recommendations for a PNG or other peach, apricot leaning beans that do well in the non-preheated EspressoForge? This would be for a milk drink.
LMWDP #472