It's the Water! - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
happycat

#11: Post by happycat »

borisblank wrote:I've seen some negative reviews on Amazon - something about the handle breaking off...? Obviously that hasn't happened to you yet, but i) is the water quality significantly better than a Brita, and ii) can you see/feel/sense undue stress/torsion when you pick up a full pitcher where the handle meets the pitcher body?
I have two big Maveas.

The issue is the handle leaks but it's only if you fill the water too high such that water dribbles out of the filler compartment. The style designer swooped the back of the pitcher down so filling up to the top at the middle causes the drip. Not really an issue for me once I saw what was happening.

SCG tasted a difference but I didn't do my own test. I like the convenience of filling through the automatic weighted opening/closing port in the top and having a display on the top measure each filling with probes and report on the usage of the cartridge.

I don't fill the entire jug (which would require multiple filling of the top part)
LMWDP #603

cartnj

#12: Post by cartnj »

What did you end up doing? Water filter or bottled water?
Thanks
maigre wrote:Too true.

When I first got obsessed with this at the beginning of the year, I quickly learned that, in theory, water matters. But I never realized how much until I finally got some good water. All the equipment, technique, and finest coffee in the world isn't worth a whole lot without the right water. I've poured a lot of money's worth of bad cups down the drain because I didn't prioritize water. And I lost the chance to enjoy good coffee that I'd loved in the cafes where it was served to me first. On top of it, all the research, technique I'd developed and time I'd spent wasn't working out for me. It was frustrating and expensive. I avoid going overboard buying toys for things, so I don't regret purchasing any of the drippers, grinder, etc., that I've bought. But with all respect for the coffee equipment purveyors and the endless writings and videos that I've learned from, I wish that there had been more emphasis on how important water really is. I think you can get lucky with your home water, but more likely, you won't. At the very least, people should experiment with it from day one. Side by side comparisons of the same coffee produced to the same specs with water being the only difference can be dramatically different.

If you're just starting out (and I'm not that far from that) do yourself a huge favor. Make water as much of a priority as anything. Get great coffee, but keep in mind that you'll never come close to getting the most out of it without the right water.

maigre

#13: Post by maigre »

cartnj, my apologies for not responding. I just saw this, finally.

Personally, I didn't do either bottled water or a filter. My existing filter is great on certain levels, but not for creating good coffee water. I'm not convinced by what I'm seeing with bottled water. And the cheap plastic containers probably give a flavor that's worse than anything, though without testing it, I can't say that with confidence. But I don't want the plastic in my water, regardless.

So I've just been getting water from a helpful cafe and using that. It's a major game changer. Where I struggled to make good pourovers before in spite of what seemed to me like good technique and much attention to detail, I'm now making them regularly. Dialing in means tweaking variables to refine the coffee instead of trying to take it from undrinkable to tolerable.

As a matter of convenience and self-sufficiency, I've been checking into a few other things. The ZeroWater system caught my eye. As did Santevia. The former has been discussed here a little. It gets the TDS to something close to RO water, around zero. But I don't see where they have a mechanism to add solids back in. That can be done separately. Santevia's system does add solids back in. But it's central feature is high alkalinity, which introduces another problem. Maybe a combination of the two would do some nice things.

Dri_Fit

#14: Post by Dri_Fit »

My local barista recently told me his shop's "water guy" says Poland Spring comes pretty close to what he sets up for coffeeshops as a water professional. I've yet to try it -- still working through other variables in my brew process -- but it's next on my list.

turtle

#15: Post by turtle »

You may want to read this article. It will give you an actual target

http://www.scaa.org/chronicle/2013/07/0 ... -standard/
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Zoey

#16: Post by Zoey »

Dri_Fit wrote:My local barista recently told me his shop's "water guy" says Poland Spring comes pretty close to what he sets up for coffeeshops as a water professional. I've yet to try it -- still working through other variables in my brew process -- but it's next on my list.
Just as an FYI, I tested numerous bottled waters and found none of them to be as indicated on their web sites. Might I suggest testing for yourself before you make a decision?

RyanJE (original poster)

#17: Post by RyanJE (original poster) replying to Zoey »

Not only that, various brands are actually bottled and filtered at the same water source! Have to read the fine print. Usuall closest local spring or muni source in order to control transportation costs.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

NoBurnCoffeeTristan

#18: Post by NoBurnCoffeeTristan »

I couldn't agree more. The source of your water is essential towards the flavor of your coffee! Great read.

Nickriders

#19: Post by Nickriders »

There is a fair amount of info on this website discussing about water for coffee, (the book, water compounds and implications)
Have you tought about creating your own water? Its cheep(Epsom salt, Bicarb), you control the output and there are some tested recipe to try. Matt Perger's water recipe for coffee - Is it ok/safe for espresso machines? What do you think?

squaremile

#20: Post by squaremile »

I'm a homebrewer and I was shocked at how much my beers improved when I started dialing in the water. I've also suspected for a few years that the really elite coffee shops here in Portland, like where the pourover aroma and flavors explode out of the cup in a way you can only dream of at home, are using custom water systems. I'm going to start messing with mineral additions to water for coffee, and if I figure something cool out I'll post it. But everyone should know that homebrewing stores sell all sorts of mineral additions very cheaply (most brewers use CaCal for calcium, and epsom salts for magnesium), so if you know your local water profile, or you buy distilled water, you can build your own.