Rebuilding an Obel (La Pavoni ZIP/Carimali M1)

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
RöstHaus

#1: Post by RöstHaus »

Well I needed a Decaf grinder and found this Carimali locally. It was too good of a deal to pass up. The Paint is chipped, some of the chrome is flaking, needs a new top for the doser section, but otherwise good shape... Plan on doing a full rebuild on it; Powder coat, possibly chroming, a couple need parts, and definitely new burrs.

RöstHaus (original poster)

#2: Post by RöstHaus (original poster) »

A little rough around the edges, but solid mechanically.

Headala

#3: Post by Headala »

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

#4: Post by RöstHaus (original poster) »

its a bit filthy, probably the 1st cleaning ever... The grind adjustment threads were so filled with coffee that it didn't even budge. Some alcohol and an rubber oil filter wrench and it came right off.

#5: Post by RöstHaus (original poster) »

Definitely built like a tank, I can see why they still make them. Much nicer doser mechanism than the Cunill(Bunn badged) Space I previously rebuilt.

#6: Post by RöstHaus (original poster) »

I've got it broken down to the parts I need to get redone. Not sure about the color yet. I think its going to depend on cost. If its not too expensive, I think a matte white body and a Chrome or black doser section. I think I'll turn some walnut lids for the doser and hopper.

#7: Post by RöstHaus (original poster) »

I was looking at the parts diagram over on cafeparts and noticed 2 different PF forks, mine has #74. I can't find any info on the other fork beyond it being available and in metal instead of plastic.

does anyone have one with the #59 portafilter fork or a picture of it on the machine?

aaronmaestri

#8: Post by aaronmaestri »

I have one of these (badges la Pavoni) same kinda ugly maroon burgundy colour, it also has the plastic fork, I think the metal one is nicer but maybe I'm over thinking things. I was thinking of giving mine a refurbishment too. Interested to see your progress

#9: Post by RöstHaus (original poster) replying to aaronmaestri »

I actually found what model the metal one came on, the rebadged Bezzeras. Once I figure out the final cost on the rest, I may go for the metal fork.

So far I'm just looking for powder coat quotes. I found a guy locally that uses the prismatic powder coating that espressoparts custom shop uses. About $120 for a sandblast and coating. Not terrible I guess. And I would be powder coating the old Doser section.