Judge my puck please - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
eric.hachey

#11: Post by eric.hachey »

The best thing I've heard concerning this is:

"Are you making espresso or are you making pucks?"

End of subject.

Mad Wally

#12: Post by Mad Wally »

Both... and that at the same time!

I love multitasking

Advertisement
CycleMotion

#13: Post by CycleMotion »

Only thing I know from the experience is that puck doesen't mean sh**, I had great espresso shots from watery and sludgy pucks and from dry and compact ones. :mrgreen:

aecletec

#14: Post by aecletec »

earlgrey_44 wrote:I deem this to be an excellent puck. It's highest and best use, aside from compost, is in the realm of Famous Restaurant Practical Jokes.
Nice! I haven't gone to those lengths but certainly has been the topic of several jokes...

pineapplemonkey (original poster)

#15: Post by pineapplemonkey (original poster) »

keno wrote:I would venture to say that pucks are like bowel movements - not informative unless there is a sudden change in habits without any other obvious cause. Otherwise, don't go around posting pictures of it, worrying about it, or trying to analyze it. :roll:

Focus on how the espresso tastes.

This right here, I thought maybe if some saw this wet coffee thing that they may have some insight on one thing or another. I was very wrong :mrgreen: I would post an extraction but I feel from this roasting I received I'm just heading towards a darker roast :p

earlgrey_44

#16: Post by earlgrey_44 »

pineapplemonkey wrote: :mrgreen: I would post an extraction but I feel from this roasting I received I'm just heading towards a darker roast :p
I wish everybody had your excellent sense of humor. :lol:
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

tonythewonderful

#17: Post by tonythewonderful »

CycleMotion wrote:Only thing I know from the experience is that puck doesen't mean sh**, I had great espresso shots from watery and sludgy pucks and from dry and compact ones. :mrgreen:

Well, no... but sometimes it might remind you about it.

I was hunting for my coffee machine, and I visited a show room of one of the dealers. There I spotted the model I wanted, it was on with a portafilter locked in the brew head.
"How nice", I thought to myself, it's to keep it warm!). And in an unthinking moment I turned it open. There I saw IT! The used forgotten puck! Yak! It's like finding an unflushed pile.
I do not know why it is, I am sure, but the sight of it made me mad :evil: I was not sure if the law would call it a justifiable homicide if I took that portafilter along with that puck and pressed it against the shop assistant's head with 9 bar of pressure, so I had to content myself with retiring quickly from that place and never return there.

Advertisement
newrevolution123

#18: Post by newrevolution123 »

Your puck can reveal your future.... I see lots of espresso shots being drank in the short term.
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

Nick Name

#19: Post by Nick Name »

As always, coffee is all about how it tastes. In order to rate a puck, one should know how it tastes like.

Personally, I've never tasted a coffee puck but the smell isn't that good - after all, it is supposed to have more or less given everything that was good to give. :)

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by DucaiMann »

To be fair, I think a lot of us went through this phase. Hell, even my friends who I like to think I have educated a bit think that a lot of crema is all it takes for a tasty espresso.