LUCCA M58 by Quick Mill, reviews and owners thread - Page 28

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
TRock

#271: Post by TRock »

gzim wrote:#265:Post by DLieu8989 » Apr 27, 2016, 8:32 pm
Got a tracking number from Clive! M58s are shipping out!

So???? did either of you guys receive your machines yet? I am psyched to hear about it, and I image so are others here. I look forward to hearing about and seeing your new setup...
Received my Lucca M58 today! I had already installed the water softener and filter system that I purchased from Clive so all I had to do today was connect it to the machine. It all went flawlessly and works amazingly. I've pulled about 5 shots so far and I'm working on getting it dialed in. The shots all tasted quite good but not exactly where I wanted them but I'm pretty close. I'll post some pics tomorrow but so far I'm extremely impressed. It's so much quieter than my Silvia and all I can say about the shots are that they just taste smoother. I don't have the vocabulary that many others do to describe what I'm tasting but even though I haven't pulled the shot I'm looking for I haven't had one that would be bitter or sour so I'm very close to what I'm looking for but they all have just been "smoother" in the mouth if that means anything. Looking forward to playing with it more tomorrow.

DLieu8989

#272: Post by DLieu8989 »

Got mine in today too. Luckily I live close to work and I went home to drag the box in as soon as I received delivery cofirmation from UPS. I have only pulled 2 doubles and that LoveJoy stuff Clive included was yummy. It was probably 7pm when I had my second double. Unfortunately, I got work tomorrow so I had to restrain myself from making any more espresso.

Ran into couple of minor issues:

1. The drain tank plug was a little loose and I had some water drip onto the counter. A little teflon tape and tightening fixed that.

2. The mesh screen on the drain tank was rubbing on the face a bit so I just put 3 layers of electrical tape on the back side of the mesh (unvisible looking from the front).

3. Naked portafilter handle was loose so that just had to be tightened.

4. Looks like both portafilter handle sleeves were not polished like the joystick knobs, definitely had a unfinished look to it. I may have to contact Clive or polish it myself.

I tried to steam milk which became a total disaster. Then again I dont normally steam milk as I always drink straight doubles, definitely learning curve compared to the BDB I had.

A little taste of my humble abode (excuse the messy cords, I literally plugged the machine in, filled with water and didn't worry about anything else):

mwalter

#273: Post by mwalter »

Mine came yesterday. The M58 is a beautiful machine!!!

Unfortunately, the spacing between my counter and the cabinets is about 1cm smaller than it needs to be, so I will have to find a table to put it on. My tap water is very hard (>150ppm), so I'll also need to get a softener or buy bottled water. I can't wait to try it out once I do.

thecatch83

#274: Post by thecatch83 »

Can't you adjust the feet on the M58?

mwalter

#275: Post by mwalter replying to thecatch83 »

Not that I know of, but only took a quick glance

canuckcoffeeguy

#276: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

mwalter wrote:Mine came yesterday. The M58 is a beautiful machine!!!

Unfortunately, the spacing between my counter and the cabinets is about 1cm smaller than it needs to be, so I will have to find a table to put it on. My tap water is very hard (>150ppm), so I'll also need to get a softener or buy bottled water. I can't wait to try it out once I do.
You can also mix your tap water with distilled to achieve safe hardness levels. This is what I do. Although a proper filtration system would be ideal.

mwalter

#277: Post by mwalter replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try that as well.

Shife

#278: Post by Shife »

thecatch83 wrote:Can't you adjust the feet on the M58?
The feet are threaded and can be used to adjust for an uneven surface, but the minimum height is what it is.

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#279: Post by clivecoffee »

Hi David, beautiful setup!

It's definitely possible to have hardware (like the PF handle or drain plug) vibrate loose in transit, but the drain plug can be tightened with a flat head screw driver and shouldn't require teflon tape. The drip tray screen sits flush against the machine, but it should stay still during normal use. The portafilter handles are not secured with a thread locker like Loc-Tite, but with hand tightening it should stay secured and allow you to swap handles later if you want (you could also use a mild thread locker if you wanted to). The portafilter handle has a different finish than the joystick plastics, as this gives it a softer touch than the traditional plastic commercial portafilter.

The steaming is a definitely an adjustment! Particularly coming from the BDB, which is a very gradual steamer and great to learn on. If you find the milk heating faster than you want, I recommend you lower the steam boiler temperature by five degrees or so. Also, are you using the 2 hole or 4 hole steam tip?

@BP

sarends

#280: Post by sarends »

Has anyone tried to measure their line pressure infusion bar pressure?

I insert blind basket and place shot lever into the E61 position to begin line pressure infusion. I am only measuring a little more than 1 bar, 1.5 bar tops.

Incidentally, I have been customarily using a 15 second PI with all of my shots, which I prefer slightly to non PI shots.

And, we have strong line pressure at the faucet, subjectively speaking.

Thanks!