Brewista Scale Observations - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

I should add that my e-mail communications with Brewista and with Brew Global (Brewista world-wide distributor) have been extremely timely, highly professional, and very helpful.

I can understand that "smart" is hard to achieve - the balance between filtering noise yet recognizing real events is hard to reliably achieve in every instance. I found that insulation reduced random resets - the load cell is very sensitive to temperature. (This is normal load-cell behaviour, and why you see scales with a glass plate instead of a metal one.)

However, the battery issue is worrisome as it was also reported in the UK forums. Jason, if you don't hear back from the distributor (Bombora?) then I suggest trying the "help" email address on the cover of the manual. Brian got back to me within hours - for a $60US item, you can't beat that!

(What is it with companies starting with "B" anyhow - Baratza, Bonavita, Brewista - all have given me great customer support - and people love Breville support too ... :lol: )
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Bob_McBob

#12: Post by Bob_McBob »

I'm glad someone clarified about the response time. It's my biggest pet peeve with the vast majority of inexpensive pocket scales, especially since MyWeigh completely ruined the previously excellent Triton T2 in this respect. I don't need any of the "smarts"; I like having a built-in timer that's actually useable (looking at you, Acaia Pearl), but I'm happy to do my own taring, thank you.

Unfortunately I can't justify a Lunar at the moment, and it looks like the Brewista isn't the scale for me either.
Chris

NightFlight

#13: Post by NightFlight »

I had high hopes for this also and it comes down to Brewista, either they sink or swim. I can afford but cannot justify a Lunar at this time, perhaps in the future. I don't go through the $20 variants very quickly and although slower work well, I just ordered another as backup. How long has it been on the Pearl update? Perhaps it cannot be done and perhaps the Lunar is not to far out in my future.

Spitz.me

#14: Post by Spitz.me »

Has anyone else experienced an incredibly power hungry Brewista? This scale is chewing up batteries like no other scale I've ever used. It's down right ridiculous.

I make sure I turn it off even between shots. It still only lasts about a month. It's also a pain to swap out batteries. I'm definitely regretting this expensive scale, made even more expensive by the amount of batteries it'll eat every year.

My pour over Hario scale lasts forever on batteries and it has all the functionality I need. Too bad it's enormous.
LMWDP #670

caldwa

#15: Post by caldwa replying to Spitz.me »

That seems odd. I've had the Brewista scale for a little over 4 months now, forgetting to turn it off for 12+ hours at a time (whoops!), and it's still on its original batteries that came with the scale.

Bob_McBob

#16: Post by Bob_McBob »

Spitz.me wrote:Has anyone else experienced an incredibly power hungry Brewista? This scale is chewing up batteries like no other scale I've ever used. It's down right ridiculous.

I make sure I turn it off even between shots. It still only lasts about a month. It's also a pain to swap out batteries. I'm definitely regretting this expensive scale, made even more expensive by the amount of batteries it'll eat every year.

My pour over Hario scale lasts forever on batteries and it has all the functionality I need. Too bad it's enormous.
Are you storing anything on the scale?
Chris

Spitz.me

#17: Post by Spitz.me »

Obviously, I took the position that my scale's power consumption wasn't a defect. I was attributing it's huge power draw to the functionality and lighting. I figured people might just be okay with this crap considering it's functionality. Interesting feedback.

I'm not storing anything on it. I got it for my birthday in January and I've changed the batteries 4 times. Only 4 times because I spent 2-3 weeks too lazy to replace the batteries.

Since this doesn't sound common, I'll see what Brewista/49th have to say in terms of support if any.
LMWDP #670

Stereo Heathen

#18: Post by Stereo Heathen »

Spitz.me wrote:Has anyone else experienced an incredibly power hungry Brewista? This scale is chewing up batteries like no other scale I've ever used. It's down right ridiculous.

I had some issues with my first Brewista scale. Even with the newer battery cover, it would turn off seemingly at random, show weights that would vary by 2-3 grams even when constant, and ran through batteries as quickly as you describe.

A couple of months ago I contacted Brewista directly about this (who directed my message to Brew Global, their US distributor). They were incredibly helpful, and even sent me a brand new scale for replacement without a proof of purchase (I had received the scale as a gift). I sent my defective scale back in their provided packaging and have had no issues since. I'm also still on the same set of batteries.

dmw010

#19: Post by dmw010 »

I'm getting about 2 months of use out of a set of batteries (2 sets since Xmas), and that's with weighing 1 shot about 5 days a week. And I make sure it is turned off immediately after use. I'd call that pretty seriously bad battery consumption - the scale must be drawing power while it is off. I store it with both covers on; I wonder if the covers put pressure on the load cell, and it is somehow using power?

dmw010

#20: Post by dmw010 »

Just wanted to report that Brew Global is sending me a new scale, and has asked me to return the old scale (at their cost) so they can examine it. Also got a bit of intel that they are launching a second-generation scale that is rechargeable. I wonder what other features or improvements it will have. They seem to appreciate user feedback.