Elektra T1 with water LEAK, LEAK, LEAK

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
PierreRobert

#1: Post by PierreRobert »

HI, all,

About five years ago, you wonderful people help set me on my espresso journey. I purchased a (new) Elektra T1 and a Compak K10 Pro. While it took some time to develop the necessary skills and understanding, I have been extremely pleased with the results. Far, far better coffee than a lot of the stuff I've paid $6/cup for in and about Seattle. [I'm actually on the Eastside in Bellevue.]

[For the record, my machine is on for approx 8 hours/day. I make 2-3 shots/Americanos and one latte most days. Oftentimes use hot water for tea. I backflush every other day or so. I completely drain the boiler weekly.]

However, my T1 appears to be a leak maven. I am now on my fourth leak. Twice the HX cap leaked, then the group head leaked, and now there's a leak starting at where the boiler element is attached to the boiler. I discovered this while making my wife's morning latte, which spewed water out of the steam wand. [I turned the machine off, flushed all the water out of the wand and emptied the boiler a bit, and that seemed to "correct itself."]

I have a (cation exchange) water softener cartridge. My water hardness (from the city) is listed at averaging between 1.69-1.74 gpg. I've done the aquarium KH/GH tests (both take one drop to change color). I descale at least every year (usually every 6 months) using 1Tbsp citric acid per liter water.

Yet I still am averaging a leak every year. I am getting really frustrated (and desperate) with this situation.

Please, please help!

PierreRobert (original poster)

#2: Post by PierreRobert (original poster) »

Now that my panic and despair have subsided, I've rolled up my sleeves and dug into this problem a bit.

The short story is, the (developing) leak was a result of a disintegrating heating element gasket. When cajoled by my visiting brother-in-law to take it all apart (something I would not normally consider doing), the gasket was extremely brittle and fragmented. We installed a new gasket from EPNW, and the machine is back to making great coffee again!

I guess after five years, it was just time to replace this thing. [Yes, this is my first machine. I'm learning all the ins-and-outs of proper maintenance one leak at a time, it seems!]

On the scaling issues, well, I have no idea what has been going on. I did get a good look inside the boiler, though, while the heating element was off. It was pretty much spotless inside. Just clean copper. No white powder/residue anywhere that I could see. So there is simply no way that scale (alone) has been the cause of my woes.

Perhaps it was due to bad/lazy technique or maintenance. Whatever it was, it seems to have been corrected in the past year or two.

Thank you to all who read my tale.

Advertisement
MCALheaven

#3: Post by MCALheaven »

While first reading this I immediately thought of scale issues. But your water quality seems high. Assuming you ran it 8 hours a day, every day for 5 years, that's about 15,000 hours of heat applied to the gaskets. No wonder it was brittle! After learning how to do maintenance, the next question is either how often? or how do I change my habits to increase maintenance intervals?