Verve Coffee Roasters 1950 blend

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Balthazar_B

#1: Post by Balthazar_B »

Has anyone tried it? How would you describe it? I've had their Sermon blend and a couple of SOs in the past, but not the 1950.

I haven't had their Buena Vista blend either, for that matter. Would welcome any comments on that as well. :)

Thanks!
- John

LMWDP # 577

Travisimo

#2: Post by Travisimo »

Hello, sorry I haven't tried it yet I wonder if they are tailoring it more for Drip compared to Espresso I bet.

Sermon was interesting as espresso. I might have to try this one you asked about!

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#3: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) replying to Travisimo »

Sermon is one of my favorite espresso blends.

Here's part of what they say about The 1950 blend:

Applying a bit more roast on the blend than we generally approach our single origin coffees with, this blend will stand up to milk with the best of them and makes an exotic shot of espresso.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Travisimo

#4: Post by Travisimo »

Very cool. I will have to try this "1950's blend" eventually.
Currently I am enjoying Victrola Coffee's
Streamline Espresso blend:
http://www.victrolacoffee.com/collectio ... esso-blend

Their descriptive Notes:
"Streamline's fruit---juicy blueberry and blackberry--carries it across the palate slowly: toasted hazelnuts, bittersweet chocolate, and brown sugar each take their time on the tongue before melting into a butter frosting mouth-feel."

Cheers!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

I like Sermon but since all the shops I frequent that have Verve always use it I sometimes feel it would be nice to try something different.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#6: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) replying to yakster »

No shortage of good coffee in San Jose. :mrgreen:

I'm tempted to try The 1950, but it wouldn't be for a few weeks. If you happen to check it out in the meantime (as something different), please post your impressions!
- John

LMWDP # 577

bean2friends

#7: Post by bean2friends »

Travisimo wrote:Very cool. I will have to try this "1950's blend" eventually.

Their descriptive Notes:
"Streamline's fruit---juicy blueberry and blackberry--carries it across the palate slowly: toasted hazelnuts, bittersweet chocolate, and brown sugar each take their time on the tongue before melting into a butter frosting mouth-feel."

Cheers!
If it really tastes like this, it would be the greatest diet food ever for someone who craves sweets as I do.

#8: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

Travisimo wrote:Very cool. I will have to try this "1950's blend" eventually.

Their descriptive Notes:

Cheers!
Wish Victrola disclosed what beans -- or even what regions -- are included in their blends. From their description, I'd guess a combination of Ethiopian, Brazilian, and Central American beans, not unlike Sermon. How dark does Victrola roast Streamline?

Maybe worthy of its own thread. Or perhaps a Sermon Vs. Streamline thread. :)
- John

LMWDP # 577

Travisimo

#9: Post by Travisimo »

Good question, I would say it is more of a medium to medium-dark roast.

I am not a roaster so I don't know if it is Full City + or not.

I recommend to try as many different styles and learn from there. I liked Verve's Sermon yet I prefer the coffee that has the darker less fruity more brown sugar, molasses side to the taste profile; like a bourbon varietal.

Note: I had one local roaster that had their espresso more of a dark woodsey, tobacco profile which was too much for my taste.

I like the darker yet not the burnt taste! Espresso, less fruity more chocolatey like a good Guatemalan!

It is a welcome change from some of the brighter 3rd wave that I am kind of getting away from. I like the medium to medium-dark roasters as comfort coffee.

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

I'd be interested as well, hearing folks opinions about how the 1950's Blend pulls as espresso.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/