How to check Olympia Cremina brew temperature - Page 8

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
woodmakesitgood (original poster)

#71: Post by woodmakesitgood (original poster) »

LOL, after researching "lever erectus" I see that Cremina's like mine with the triangular cap:
"If it is triangular in shape then it has a vacuum breaker in it and you will not see lever erectus. The Vac Breaker cap was a mod to eliminate the need for bleeding off the false pressure in the boiler when it is coming up to temperature."

Katoci

#72: Post by Katoci »

woodmakesitgood wrote: The grind was very fine....
I noticed the shot still did not take very long, about 15 sec.
Do you use WDT(Weiss distribution technique)? If you do, and it's still fast you need to grind finer. It's really not brain surgery. Too fast - you go finer and finer until you get a proper flow. If your grinder can't grind fine enough, you must buy another one.

Good to know, that your lever is working fine.

#73: Post by woodmakesitgood (original poster) replying to Katoci »

I do not use WDT, but I'll give it a shot.
The grind is pretty fine, almost powdered sugar consistency...I think to grind finer would require new burrs.
What is basically a Simonelli MDX should be good enough for decent espresso.

The lever might be a little shy on the temp after all, so I will adjust the pstat next.
I thought 190-195 was going to be good enough, but now I think it needs to be hotter.

Katoci

#74: Post by Katoci replying to woodmakesitgood »

My average shot starts from 175F (before rising the lever), but the hottest I ever needed was 194F. The bell temperature rises when you lift the lever, but the average during the shot temp is 190F for me. Thin white crema with fast pour won't be solved by increasing the temperature. It's either ditribution or grinder issue.

PS: What basket do you use, and with how much coffee? With the single basket I have the same problems as you, but with the double basket 14-16g coffee should be good.

#75: Post by woodmakesitgood (original poster) replying to Katoci »

The higher temp might help with the sour taste of the shots...from what I've read lately, 190 is a bit low.

I use both the single and double basket, with similar results.
I get about 12-14g in the double, not sure about the single.

#76: Post by woodmakesitgood (original poster) »

I increased the pstat setting, rotating the wheel in the direction of the boiler and closer to the brass nut.

With no gauge, I don't really have an idea of the correct setting though...the machine was letting off steam while on,
and there was some water dripping from the bottom. Too much pressure?
Interestingly, the shot I pulled had more crema than usual and tasted pretty good for decaf, although the last sip tasted a bit off.

I'm lowering the setting until I have a proper gauge.
Is there one available that replaces the boiler cap, or should I go with one that attaches to the steam wand.

#77: Post by woodmakesitgood (original poster) »

The older threads I found have links to various gauges, but most are expired.
But I found one at work that goes up to 15 psi, and connected it using vacuum tubing to the steam wand.

I'm able to get measurements before the tubing pops off, and made adjustment to the pstat.
It is actually dialed way back now, and the pressure setting is about 14 psi, or 0.96 bar.
The shot I pulled was actually pretty tasty, using "well aged" Danesi beans.
I look forward to fresher beans once I settle on a supplier...

Thanks for all the help everyone!