Strange pinch in the mouth - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
JmanEspresso

#11: Post by JmanEspresso »

I know the exact feeling you're describing, though I dont get it from coffee.

I get it from Wine or Beer. Its definitely infrequent and random. Highly annoying, basically.

A friend of mine gets it as well, and the little bit of digging online I did, told me that plenty of other people randomly experience it as well. Since its infrequent and random, the fact that others experienced it as well, was enough to make me stop thinking about it. When it does happen, I just wait for it to stop and continue on with my life. Im not saying you shouldnt talk to a doctor, or a friend, or whomever you wish, just telling you what I did.

Jofari

#12: Post by Jofari »

I've experienced this sensation when eating or drinking very sour things, such as lemon juice. Never from coffee though. I'm not sure what causes it.

canuckcoffeeguy

#13: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Marco wrote:Ok thanks for the advice.

The reason why I started the post is because I thought that what I was experiencing may have been a known effect due to something wrong with the coffee or with the brewing method for that particular coffee. I conclude that this is not the case.

I certainly agree that this is not a medical forum and I'm happy for the moderators to delete the entire post if it's not relevant to this forum.
Marco, is this what you're experiencing? If so, it could be your salivary glands reacting to what you perceive as overly sour coffee. Read this link and the explanations offered afterwards:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Undiagnose ... ow/1644842

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

Interesting, sounds like those two coffees are particularly juicy, stimulating your salivary glands, when fresh.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Marco (original poster)

#15: Post by Marco (original poster) »

Thanks all for the feedback.

@ canuckcoffeeguy the link is very interesting.

jasonmolinari

#16: Post by jasonmolinari »

As others have said it sounds like a salivary gland kicking in for perceived bright/sour coffees.
Do you feel the same thing if you suck on a piece of lemon?

Marco (original poster)

#17: Post by Marco (original poster) »

jasonmolinari wrote:Do you feel the same thing if you suck on a piece of lemon?
Just tried eating a piece of lemon, different result actually: widespread feeling especially on the tongue and the upper part of the mouth (not necessarily a bad sensation), while the feeling that I was experiencing with the two coffees was localised in two exact points and it was much more intense and unpleasant. Interesting.

Fausto

#18: Post by Fausto »

I also often feel this exact sensation - from coffee, wine, beer, probably other things too. It only happens to me when I haven't eaten or drank anything in a while - when my mouth is a bit raw, and then suddenly I blast my taste buds with something very powerful. Try swishing around some water first I think that might prevent it from happening - make the coffee less of a shock to the system. I don't think it's anything to worry about, just annoying.

Very interesting to read that plenty of other people experience this, I've never thought about it much.