Ceado E37S on the way...

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
nuketopia

#1: Post by nuketopia »

After a lot of obsessive research, I decided to order a Ceado e37s grinder to upgrade my aging Vario. With a short hopper, it rings in at a cabinet friendly 17.125 inches high. (Best as I can tell). It is my first order with WLL. Been a loyal Chris customer and if I'd gone with the K30 it would have been from them. Decided against the k30 for size and cost. One of WLL banner ads had 10% coupon code in it. The e37s is quite reasonably priced for an 83mm flat burr. The extra 10% just iced it.

All my reading online found really no bad things about the 37S. Most reports indicate it performs well and is easy to maintain. The Ceado E92 conical is just taller than I want.

The Vario will most likely get sent to Baratza for repair and used for decaf.

May still spring for a Monolith. Haven't decided completely. It will probably come down to whether I feel the need to continue single dosing.

thecatch83

#2: Post by thecatch83 »

Nothing disconcerting other than the 27 page thread regarding the E37 and spraying issues. Congrats on an awesome grinder....it is by far the best value/performer on the market!

Ceado E37S Spraying [NOT FIXED]

Not2Bitter

#3: Post by Not2Bitter »

I have a 37s.

Mine sprays, BUT, I use one of the orphan espresso tall funnels, so I just hold the portafilter with the funnel in front of the chute opening and it's all good.

This is my fault for breaking the little rubber anti static piece when I was looking at it. I could fix it but I haven't gotten around to it.

Besides my self inflicted issues, I love my grinder and wouldn't trade it for anything in the price range.

I'm certain you will enjoy it.

Have fun.

tegee

#4: Post by tegee »

Congrats.....I've had my E37S for 3-months now and it is measurable in performance over my 4-year old Vario. I loved my Vario and it treated me very well during its time, but it was time to upgrade.

I bought the E37S for all the reasons you already mentioned. I just could not bring myself to spring an extra 50% increase in cost to go with the K30. I figured if the E37S didn't perform I wasn't out too much dollars. I have said many times in these E37S threads, and IMHO, you can't beat a large flat burr for $1k. I bought mine refurbed and got the short hopper included for free. Plus they threw in the SCC upgrade a month later and installation was a piece of cake.

The build quality is awesome and programming is a breeze. Very little moving parts and it appears that I will get many years of great use. I did not bother with "breaking in" my grinder with several pounds of wasted beans......I just setup and away I went. Adjustment from bean to bean is a simply shift to the left or the right and sink shots are literally a thing of the past. Sink shots on the Vario were a PITA and that has disappeared with the Ceado.

As far as retention goes...I simply programed the single shot button to 1.2 seconds, which equates to about 4-5 grams. I take a mason jar each morning and grind the retention grinds into the jar and save these grinds for Americanos. So no waste. And I only fill the hopper with about 70-90 grams of beans each morning to keep my beans as fresh as possible from day to day.

To that end, you are going to get your naysayers about the "spray issues" and most are valid. But there is a myriad of reasons "why" it may be happening. BUT from my 3-months of use it has only sprayed 2 or 3 times and all of those were during the pre-SCC upgrade. It has been bliss ever since and the grind consistency has been tremendous. I do use fresh beans from local sources as well as from Chris' Coffee, so maybe that helps....don't know I can only tell you my experience with the E37S. Very little WDT and I use a funnel as well on my portafilter.

Once you receive your grinder definitely make sure it has the upgraded SCC. It should since it is new and assuming it is not a refurb (older model). Simply check for the medal flapper vs the older rubber model.

Good luck and keep us posted on its performance..........

Fury

#5: Post by Fury »

I also have had fantastic performance and consistency, without using any funnel for the 3 + months that I have had the E37S and my new GS3 as well.

I have also kept only a small amount of beans in the hopper-changed back to the large hopper, BTW, because of "artistic considerations" regarding the WAF and the scale of the Grinder against the GS3. I suspect that I have just adjusted my grinding parameters to the decreased loading weight of the beans/beans + weight-in the hopper. With only 4-5 shots per day, that seemed like the easiest pathway for now.

Thank you very much

Fury

nuketopia (original poster)

#6: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice. I did read the spraying thread. It appears that Ceado has addressed it in the update to the SCC. I can see how the old design could get stuck in the up position leaving grinds to fly. I wonder why they didn't go with an enclosed chute. First thing I will check is whether the updated SCC is already installed. I would presume it should be standard by now.

I really haven't seen negatives about the grind quality anywhere so that was a big factor in deciding.

tegee

#7: Post by tegee »

nuketopia wrote:I really haven't seen negatives about the grind quality anywhere so that was a big factor in deciding.
Exactly....good decision.

RyanJE

#8: Post by RyanJE »

nuketopia wrote:Thanks for the advice. I did read the spraying thread. It appears that Ceado has addressed it in the update to the SCC. I can see how the old design could get stuck in the up position leaving grinds to fly. I wonder why they didn't go with an enclosed chute. First thing I will check is whether the updated SCC is already installed. I would presume it should be standard by now.

I really haven't seen negatives about the grind quality anywhere so that was a big factor in deciding.
Edit... Removed post after realized poster already purchased.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....