Baratza Vario Grinder Clogging After Belt Replacement

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
vivaitalia

#1: Post by vivaitalia »

Hello,

I have a perplexing problem I cannot solve. I purchased a Baratza Vario grinder in Jan 2016 and have been grinding wonderful coffee until I hit a stone which partially destroyed the belt. I replaced this belt today using the instructions on Baratza's site but the grinder is no longer passing coffee through to the bin. When I power on the Vario, it makes the same spinning noise it did as when new out of the box and I have verified the motor gear, belt and white plastic main gear are all turning. Is there something I could have replaced incorrectly that would cause this to occur? All the parts fit snugly back when I reassembled the unit. It never once was clogged on the original belt and I've cleaned the chute several times but it will not pass any grinds.

Any thoughts?

:cry:

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

Sweeper issue? not sure if Vario has one
LMWDP #603

D'Laine

#3: Post by D'Laine »

Remove the beans, hopper and upper burr.
Reinstall the hopper.
Turn it on, does the lower burr rotate?
Also there is a rubber-like flapper in the chute, up high, which may be jammed/backwards or stuck somehow.

D.

vivaitalia (original poster)

#4: Post by vivaitalia (original poster) »

I have turned on the unit with just the lower burr in place and it does turn. I was able to fix the issue by inserting a paper clip through the hole and ensuring the inner flap moved. I also used some compressed air to clean the chamber thoroughly. Unfortunately, I now have another problem which I will post in a new thread.

Thanks for viewing/comments.

~viva

cuppajoe

#5: Post by cuppajoe »

One of the first things I did with my W was to remove the flap, helped with retention as well.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits