Behmor's brewers-- Q on dispersion/saturation

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
coffeemmichael

#1: Post by coffeemmichael »

Behmor users,

Does the dispersion screen saturate all of the grounds evenly? The product video for the new behmor brewer shows a completely saturated bed, but I have seen photos of beds with big divots in the center of the basket.

I'm currently using a wilfa precision. Sprayhead on this brewer is like that of the technivorms-- it doesn't saturate all of the grounds, so stirring is required at some point.

I'm trying to move to a totally hands-free system-- I'm sick of testing my sanity and time when brewing.

Thanks in advance

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I don't have any photos handy but I've been well pleased with the bed saturation of my Behmor+, it does seem to saturate the whole bed of coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

coffeemmichael (original poster)

#3: Post by coffeemmichael (original poster) »

Chris,

Thanks you. Which filters do you use with it? Saw recommendations for the larger kalita filters, do they actually fit?

DrugOfChoice

#4: Post by DrugOfChoice »

I always get completely saturated grounds with my Brazen Plus. However, I typically let the presoak water sit in the basket for a while before inserting the carafe (1:30 to 2:00 total presoak; insert carafe with a little over 1:00 left). I don't do this because the grounds don't saturate otherwise, and I haven't done any comparison tests to see if it makes a difference in the cup. I just like the idea of a little immersion time, so I always do it.

I use Bunn paper filters and am very happy with the coffee.

My only gripes about the Brazen Plus are:

--The carafe is not great at keeping the coffee hot, compared to a Nissan/Thermos TGB1000. I preheat the carafe and usually finish the pot while the coffee is still reasonably hot. But if I linger over breakfast on a weekend, the end of the pot is cooler than I would like. A Nissan/Thermos carafe will keep coffee too hot to drink for hours.

--The carafe tends to splash a bit when pouring. Not a big deal, but definitely a minor annoyance.

--The carafe lid is made of two screwed together pieces, and water from washing it (scrubbing with a dish brush under the tap) collects inside and can't be completely removed without removing four screws. The collected wash water is completely out of the path of the coffee, but it does slosh around in there.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

I started with the Bunn filters ( which are taller) simply because I replaced my old Bunn with the Brazen but switched to Melita filters later, Kalita would be too small and narrow. I tried the gold filter that came with but prefer paper.

I agree with Steve on his gripes.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Shife

#6: Post by Shife »

I'm planning on getting rid of mine and getting something with a properly designed filter basket. For a 4 or 6 cup pot, it works great. For an 8 cup pot, the filter nearly always collapses into a corner of the stupid "U" shaped basket and grounds overrun the filter. I realize the fix for this is to use a paper filter under the metal filter, but drip coffee makers are supposed to be convenient. If I wanted to mess around with something at 5am I'd use my Chemex.

For reference, look at the filter basket on a Bunn Phase Brew. Then look at the basket on the Brazen. Fail. I'm tempted to ask for my old Phase Brew back from the MIL and give her the Brazen to use. Two years of this nonsense is enough.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Hmm, never had the filter collapse issue myself, I use the Brazen for full 8 cup pots, I'll use my Kalita for smaller batches.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

DrugOfChoice

#8: Post by DrugOfChoice »

I've never experienced a filter collapse either, brewing full pots with Bunn or Melitta filters.