SCAA 2016 - Page 3

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Headala

#21: Post by Headala »

Thank you so much for taking the time for the photos and observations!

canuckcoffeeguy

#22: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

drgary wrote:Brian,

Your photos and text are more than welcome to those of us who couldn't attend. Thank you for these great posts!
+1 for us Canadians who weren't there. Anyone else who went, please post more pics and descriptions!

Advertisement
jbviau
Supporter ★

#23: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Will do. Waiting to catch a break today and write up some impressions.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

michael

#24: Post by michael »

Anybody see the invergo pour over at the show; it's a Kickstarter thing that was mentioned here previously :?:

day

#25: Post by day replying to michael »

I did, it was a production model only one there and they didn't brew any coffee, just running the water so no idea what temperature it was at etc. I thought I had pictures of it actually but don't. I shouldn't have been so critical of it, it was basically functioning and had a solid price at 179floor price for preorders. The current prototype was made out of the same plastic as my daughters old training potty, very light and low quality, I assume it would be much improved by November when it's predicted to ship of course and am disappointed I didn't take any pictures.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

heavyduty

#26: Post by heavyduty »

Brian,
Thank you so much for your write-up and pics!
I was wondering what is the brand name of the storage containers in your 1st post, 2nd & 3rd photos?
Thanks in advance.
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

day

#27: Post by day replying to heavyduty »

here is the link, looks like you will have to email someone for the truly beautiful designs. They were really nice containers...http://prepara.com/collections/evak
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Advertisement
invergo

#28: Post by invergo »

day wrote:I did, it was a production model only one there and they didn't brew any coffee, just running the water so no idea what temperature it was at etc. I thought I had pictures of it actually but don't. I shouldn't have been so critical of it, it was basically functioning and had a solid price at 179floor price for preorders. The current prototype was made out of the same plastic as my daughters old training potty, very light and low quality, I assume it would be much improved by November when it's predicted to ship of course and am disappointed I didn't take any pictures.
We were brewing coffee most people wanted just to see how it worked and were coffeed out. The SCAA pre order is still good for next two weeks the code is SCAA and it 174.95. The machine is actually quite heavy even the prototype it is about 10 pounds and has weights in it.

Randy G.

#29: Post by Randy G. »

Just finished posting my review of the show on my website. In the "Blog" section, Chapter 146.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

412Rich

#30: Post by 412Rich »

day wrote: Also a number of nice new beverages, a draft latte that was spectacularly delicious and some fantastic beer/coffee collaborations.
The beer/coffee area was interesting. Although not everything was a winner (I'm not a big sour beer or rye beer fan anyway). The cascara/cider combo was my personal fave. But tastes are individual, as I personally found the LaColombe draft latte lacking in pretty much everything. Kinda tasted like the licking the foam from the bottom of a bad capp, with the same texture.

It had been 7 years since my last SCAA visit (probably longer than my last post here!). As I'm now in charge of revamping the coffee program for a local chain, was very interested in cold brew processes and easily-trainable pourovers. Still a Clever fan on the latter, so was delighted to see alternatives to the cheap plastic version. And colors! Didn't find any particular cold brew process that floated my boat more than a Filtron, so there's going to be some lab work ahead. Wasn't a fan of most cold brew I sampled on the floor.

Lots of great coffee in the pop-up cafes though. Buddy Brew and Revelator were standouts. But even the Starbucks Reserve pop-up had some interesting tasty stuff (and were rocking Hario siphons).

One of the more interesting finds for me was Buhler roasters. They're huge in food processing worldwide, but haven't marketed their commercial coffee roasters in US till recently. An odd feature on it is that there's a wheel that moves the drum back and forth for heating and dumping. Sweet airflow and drum controls though, albeit with no current interface for a laptop and the proprietary screen is pretty small. I can see them making a dent in 3W roaster circles though.

Also probably finally going to break down and drill a hole in my Behmor after visiting their booth and checking out the probe they were pitching.
Crazy Mocha
Pittsburgh, PA