Mahlgut Adjustable Tampers - Page 5

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
TruBrew

#41: Post by TruBrew »

Do you like the SAI or Mahlgut tamper better?

HBchris

#42: Post by HBchris »

iuvare wrote:I have a Linea Mini and have been using the Mahlgut Tamper Palm for over a month. The Mahglut Palm is great (and I prefer it to the Saint Anthony Industries "LEVY"), even though it's a little heavy.

While I do not have a reasoned rebuttal to any of Randy G's claims, I've been using palm-based tampers (i.e. the Mahlgut Palm and the Saint Anthony Industries "LEVY" before that) for a few months and haven't encountered any evidence to support his claims against them. Maybe that's a testament to the consistency and stability of the Linea Mini. Or maybe I have no idea how to pull a shot correctly. Who knows--but I love the Mahlgut: it's easy to adjust, natural to use...I simply wish it was lighter. If it had the mechanics of the "GREAT LEVELER", it would be the perfect tamper (for me.)

do you find you need to adjust the tamper depth for different coffees such as going from a light roast bean to dark, or do you just set it at an ideal depth for the basket leave the depth regardless if you change beans... ?

I got a bit put off from Randy G's experience about the Levy in the thread you referenced, how it requires as much or more work dialing in the depth of the tamper, than it does to dial the coffee.

If you do need to change the tamper based on different coffees or as a certain coffee ages, how do you got about determining the correct spot?

With a standard tamper, i just reach maximum density, by pressing straight down till the point of no further movement.

mrespresso23

#43: Post by mrespresso23 »

Thanks for all the comments. For me, it is down to the Mahlgut or the Easy Tamper. Would be good to hear if anyone tested them side by side over a decent period of time.

spressomon

#44: Post by spressomon »

HBchris,
I do change the depth of my Mahlgut Grist tamper depending upon the bean, grind, basket used and target flavor I'm after (bean volume changes relative to basket size). With the Grist it is easy and quick to dial in the depth ad hoc; no complaints whatsoever regarding usage.
No Espresso = Depresso

iuvare

#45: Post by iuvare »

TruBrew wrote:Do you like the SAI or Mahlgut tamper better?
I prefer the Mahlgut.
HBchris wrote:do you find you need to adjust the tamper depth for different coffees such as going from a light roast bean to dark, or do you just set it at an ideal depth for the basket leave the depth regardless if you change beans... ?

I got a bit put off from Randy G's experience about the Levy in the thread you referenced, how it requires as much or more work dialing in the depth of the tamper, than it does to dial the coffee.

If you do need to change the tamper based on different coffees or as a certain coffee ages, how do you got about determining the correct spot?

With a standard tamper, i just reach maximum density, by pressing straight down till the point of no further movement.
Occasionally, I find the need to adjust the tamper depth for the same coffee, depending on the humidity, temperature, etc. It's not a big deal, though, because the adjustment is minor.

I determine the correct spot the same way you do: by first adjusting the tamper so that I can no longer push down any further and the tamper does not touch the basket. I then adjust the tamper towards the basket (a half-turn, at most) so that the tamper rim barely touches the basket. That's it. Not very scientific, I know, but I find no discernible difference in taste between tamping this way or by using the calibrated Espro, the VST tamper or the 58.5mm eBay tamper I bought from Coffee Complements (hat tip to Keno for the lead).

aecletec

#46: Post by aecletec »

iuvare wrote: While I do not have a reasoned rebuttal to any of Randy G's claims
I think that perhaps while these are all important points to consider about how we may think espresso is extracted... when research and individual results differ we may have to reconsider the model. I have switched sides on this issue after my distribution became more consistent with whisking - now I think I misattributed flow changes to tamping (perhaps because it feels like we're doing something important by pushing firmly) when it was in fact another variable.

A comment that I used to discount but more and more am thinking about being closer to the truth is that the water pressure is far in excess of what our tamping pressure usually is. Perhaps, once we have a level, evenly distributed and compact *enough* surface/puck to provide resistance and not channel then the water does the rest.

randyh

#47: Post by randyh »

I placed an order for the regular full weight tamper on 4/3 and it was delivered to my home on 4/21, close to the 3 week wait most people from the US are experiencing. Just an FYI, it was shipped via DHL, but once it arrives in the US, USPS takes over. I didn't know this, so I was confused as to why the domestic tracking number wasn't working!
I'm still waiting for 58mm machine (V2.1 Espresso Forge pre-ordered) to arrive so no user experience yet.

Price paid:
84.85 euro (this is sans German tax thus lower price than what is listed online)
15.96 euro shipping
100.81 euro
with exchange rate at that moment, $117.85 US dollars
That's it, no other tax, tariff or any other charge.

I believe this is the most affordable of this style tamper on the market at the moment.

I debated back and forth between 58.4 and 58.5, but fear of tamper getting jammed and also the vacuum effect steered me toward 58.4mm. I wasn't sure what the manufacturing tolerance was on these tamper bases. Michael from Mahlgut said that with VST baskets 58.5mm would likely cause vacuum effect. I can see how having the tamper sitting on the basket lip would further impede airflow between the edge of the tamper and the side of the basket, amplifying the vacuum effect. I don't have VST but I wanted to have that option in the future so I went with 58.4mm.

My first impression is that it is extremely high quality, and extremely heavy! Even knowing it's 1200g weight, it still feels heavier than expected. I'm not sure if this will help or hurt functionally. But I like the all polished stainless steel construction so I don't regret getting the full weight one. Despite the weight, I can pick it up very securely because of the nice big knob-type handle.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#48: Post by TomC (original poster) »

My tamper finally arrived today, 24 days from when I ordered it. Fits well and works nice. I changed my mind at the last moment and went for wood instead of all stainless, to cut down on the massive amount of weight. The wood isn't sleeved with metal, it's just threaded directly in. But other than that, it looks and functions nicely.

I'm glad I picked up the other base from CoffeeMac, so if I want, I can use it with my Leva too. But after using it on the Linea, then switching over to the Leva head, I realized that I'll likely not bother trying to use just the Mahlgut on a day when I have both machines running at the same time, it's just not worth the time of undoing and resetting the height each time.

I'll update the thread if I get hit with a customs charge. But I doubt I will. The box was beat to hell, repackaged in the states into a USPS box without any packing material, the simple cardboard cylinder that the tamper shipped in lacked a lid (probably fell off). All in all, I'm surprised it survived the trip. The thin cardboard holding the tamper was sliding around in the box completely unprotected.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

thecoffeefield

#49: Post by thecoffeefield »

Does anyone have any experience with the Great Leveller Tamper? I like the fact that you can start the tamping process by having the tamper sit on the rim of the basket and then push down for actual tamping

Cafeneo

#50: Post by Cafeneo replying to thecoffeefield »

Seems similar/same as levtamp - for which a whole thread has been started. Lots of good feedback on this type of tamper. Embodies best of both worlds -- auto leveling and ability to dial in pressure to your liking.