WBC 2016 - interesting for an amateur?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Macphi

#1: Post by Macphi »

Hi everyone,

The World Barista Championship will take place in Dublin this year and I was considering flying over to the event (2 hours flight from where I live). I am an amateur and was wondering whether such an event is interesting for non professionals? What will I get out of it? (learning some tips from pros, meeting industry experts, seeing some new hardware...?)

Any advice and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Macphi

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I've watched a few competitors and it's interesting, but I'm not sure how much you can learn. Very little is about machines or technique, most of it is about describing the coffee, the farm, the milk and possibly even the how the cow the milk came from is taken care of. And then a description of the specialty drink with a detailed description of the decisions that led to it, how it's assembled and often, how to consume it. I'd watch some videos of previous competitions to see if it seems interesting.

Ira

Advertisement
weebit_nutty

#3: Post by weebit_nutty »

I think if you've got great interest for this kind of "performance" competition, you'll probably enjoy the level of energy present at these events. it's a small investment to immerse yourself in a world which I personally find completely ludicrous, wacky, and but quite entertaining nonetheless. Lots of crazy folks who spend more time with their portafilters than their SO's.. (unless they thought you meant Single Origin :lol: )
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

ira wrote: I'd watch some videos of previous competitions to see if it seems interesting.

Ira
+1
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Marshall

#5: Post by Marshall »

I would first watch the documentary, "Barista." It's on Netflix and will show you how much work goes into becoming a successful competitor.
Marshall
Los Angeles