Faema Compact S leak from group after descale

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
lechuza

#1: Post by lechuza »

Hello all,

I think this is not a Compact S-specific question, more of a general HX question. I'm getting a persistent leak from where the lower HX pipe connects at the group after a recent descale. I just can't get the fittings to mate properly. I've disassembled and reassembled the machine over a dozen times, thinking to make better connections with the angles of the pipe, tried nylon washers of various thicknesses (which are not specified in the parts manual), nothing seems to work. Each time, when I cut the water back on and the group repressurizes, water drips from the inner part of the pipe (not around the threads). To be honest, I think I am making things worse.

This is what the group connection looks like:

And here are 2 photos demonstrating the pipe that is to make a watertight connection to the group:

I believe this is a fairly generic assembly. Does anyone have advice or other ideas for getting these (admittedly old) copper pipes to mate securely?

Thank you!

cuppajoe

#2: Post by cuppajoe »

Went through the same thing with a Cimbali Junior, the fitting at the end of the pipe was defective. The replacement was $110, so purchased the materials and tools to replicate it. Cost about the same but now can fab just about any tube assembly.

If the price of a new pipe is reasonable, no sense in making your own.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

lechuza (original poster)

#3: Post by lechuza (original poster) »

I think this is the only reasonable explanation. I didn't even bother to look at the cost of new pipe, as I just assumed it would be >$150, but looks like there is a chance it could be less. Hopefully a lot of this pipe is generic across Faema machines.

Do you have any experience with a light sand/polish on the two mating surfaces to smooth out irregularities or is this not worth trying?

Think I will try anyway and give a report back before laying out more dollars.

F1

#4: Post by F1 »

Try some high temperature Teflon tape.