Any interest in Arduino/TC4 Custom Enclosure

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
djbetterly
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by djbetterly »

I want an enclosure for my Arduino/TC4 and I'm curious if anyone else would have any interest in one as well. This enclosure would have custom cutouts for four k-type probe plugs, USB and sockets for both heater and fan relays and indicator LED's (power and relay indicators) on the front. Obviously the more the purchased the better the pricing. If there is interest, I could provide completely built without the arduino/TC4 or bare with a list as to where to buy the components.

Also, if you have any input, feel free to share.

Once I have quotes I'll know more, but if you are interested let me know.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC replying to djbetterly »

One of the only negative parts of using my Quest is the free floating TC4C board and the fact that I have to babysit the wires and their connections, which often come undone. I really want to get around to building a better enclosure and have the connections made more securely. I was thinking of getting more of the 2 blade plug ends and making all 4 of my thermocouple inputs into something more substantial and less prone to wiggling out.

I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
djbetterly (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by djbetterly (original poster) »

My point exactly! I have drawings out to about 5 different companies now, just waiting on quotes.

Biggest thing for me is cost, this enclosure NEEDS TO BE COST EFFECTIVE!! I'm a sucker for neatness so this is big for me.

AssafL

#4: Post by AssafL »

I just used a Hammond transparent Lexan box. Perfectly sized to house the TC4C, the LCdapter and 4 k-type jacks.

Used a dremel to make the cutouts.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

turtle

#5: Post by turtle »

I picked one up on eBay for a pittance about a year ago that required a few snips here and there Fumble fingers dropped it which is why there is glue on the top cover :(

Jim sells a case for the TC4C+LCD set up.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

BenKeith

#6: Post by BenKeith »

This one works for me, I've got two of these, but the other one only has two thermocouples, one button and no LEDs. The one in the pic I use with RoastLoggerTC4, the other one I use with aArtisanQ_PID 5.3. aArtisan works better when I just want to do a couple quick roast without data logging and connecting the computer, which I do a lot of times.

The DB9 connector is for a DB9 cable is use between the TC4 and Relay control panel
There is also room inside for a LiPo battery that will run it for weeks.

My roasting is not a permanent setup. I keep most of the stuff stored in a plastic tote and just set it up when I want to roast. I keep so many different things/projects going, I don't have the room to leave everything setup. Which I guess that will change if I can ever finish building the roasters I'm building.

afan

#7: Post by afan »

I use alumilum cases for few of my Arduino boxes, getting good square cutout is not easy to me. If I do again, I will use 3D printer to print the case.

LMWDP #327
SCAA Q-Grader

Advertisement
JK

#8: Post by JK »

Quick Cover:
Sheet of printer paper and masking tape..

Fold the sheet in 4
slip the TC4 in the middle (two sheets on each side)
Tape the end and sides closed and wrap a long piece around the both sides and use the tag ends on both sides of the probe wires like a sandwich..

Much better than nothing...
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

mwills

#9: Post by mwills »

interested!

djbetterly (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by djbetterly (original poster) »

@afan I did look into 3D printing. If I did standard res 3D printing the price isn't too bad. The downfall is the quality at standard res. You get all the lines from the filament being laid down. I also looked at hires but the price went up substantially.

Right now I'm looking at aluminum extrusion with front and end plates being custom milled. I'm still waiting on a few quotes.

The key to the custom enclosures is quantity. The more people on board the cheaper these things are. I have no problem fronting the cash but I don't want to be sitting on hundreds of dollars of enclosures. Hoping for all the estimated to come in this week. Still waiting on two more then I'll have a good idea.