Mahlkonig EK43 Barista - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Mrboots2u

#51: Post by Mrboots2u »

GlennV wrote:I'm not entirely convinced by the claims of high EY for the EK43. As MrBoots says, his preferred 22% is not that high for a longer shot. Earlier today I tried a couple of longer shots (40% EBF) with a Guatemalan Geisha (roasted by Hasbean), ground on a good old fashioned large conical. They came out at 21% and 21.7%, both very tasty but the second was sweeter and tastier. If I had any more of it I would have tried finer again. (Although I liked previous shorter shots, with better mouthfeel, even more).
Looking back at the article by Matt Perger: http://cargocollective.com/mattperger/the-ek43-part-two, the EYs given there don't seem to make sense, as if they've been calculated with different versions of the software, or different preferences perhaps. Recalculating them using the final version of ExtractMojo (3.0.0.15) set to default parameters (which I believe is consistent with the other recent versions of the software) I get 22.3% (instead of 23.12%) for the EK43 shot and 21.3% (instead of 20.56%) for the Anfim - very much narrowing the gap between them.
This is not to say the EK43 aren't tastier, I cannot comment on that.
Im a little confused .. your not convinced by something you tried or not tried ( ek43 ) - Its really isnt all about numbers , and you may not like my shots and vice versa .. Ive pulled highish EY shots on roburs and other bulk grinders . ( some tasted blind ) and its only my opinion but they i preferred the EK shots . Plus some were just nasty ...but there are other variables at play here too, ( roast level, water , pressure , baskets , what you measure it with and personal taste preference )
Plus i can push EK to 24% with still espresso strength ( 9 tds ) and it still be sweet and tasty ( again to my mouth only )

The Dark One

#52: Post by The Dark One »

Bob_McBob wrote:According to a Mahlkönig rep, the next version of the EK43 Barista should be on display in March, and they're hoping to have it available commercially by the end of the year.
The friggin' end of the year? :(

It looks like I have to order a HG-1 for the meantime.

GlennV

#53: Post by GlennV »

Mrboots2u wrote:Im a little confused .. your not convinced by something you tried or not tried ( ek43 ) ...
It is frequently asserted that using the EK43 leads to higher extraction yields. All I was saying is that I have yet to see any convincing evidence that this is actually the case (at least when brew ratio is kept constant). I fully agree that it doesn't matter very much.

ShelbiRyan

#54: Post by ShelbiRyan »

The Dark One wrote:The friggin' end of the year? :(

It looks like I have to order a HG-1 for the meantime.
Or an EG-1.... :D

Mrboots2u

#55: Post by Mrboots2u »

GlennV wrote:It is frequently asserted that using the EK43 leads to higher extraction yields. All I was saying is that I have yet to see any convincing evidence that this is actually the case (at least when brew ratio is kept constant). I fully agree that it doesn't matter very much.
I am unsure that the claim was that the Ek was the " only " grinder capable of higher extractions yields but that it achieved higher extractions 20 plus that were still balanced and tasty ...

GlennV

#56: Post by GlennV replying to Mrboots2u »

I'm not disagreeing with you. The article by Perger though, for example, (http://www.baristahustle.com/the-ek43-part-two/) does claim to demonstrate that the EK43 can give substantially higher extraction yields compared to some other decent grinders at similar brew ratios and when dialled in for best taste. The numbers in that article are not self consistent however, as is also pointed out in the comments. If the numbers for dose, beverage weight and tds are taken to be correct, and extraction yields calculated on the same basis as for the Anfim, then you get 21.49% for for the EK43 rather than the stated 23.12%, which is still high but not particularly so for 22g->51g.

hrvojuliusmeinl

#57: Post by hrvojuliusmeinl »

What is the price of this grinder?

The Dark One

#58: Post by The Dark One »

It looks like they ditched the red:

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BC3KQPhHSIV ... dick&hl=de

ShelbiRyan

#59: Post by ShelbiRyan »

Seems they have changed the grind adjustment knob, portafilter holder, grounds tray and done away with the wood accents as well. I wonder if there has been any approximate release date yet? There hasn't been much info released other then this thread.

CrabRangoon

#60: Post by CrabRangoon replying to ShelbiRyan »

Thank goodness too, I thought it looked like an unpolished concept with all those differing colors / materials. The one pictured here looks far closer to a production model than the other did IMO.
LMWDP #505