Coffees with good chocolate/caramel flavor - Page 8

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
borisblank

#71: Post by borisblank »

Motor City, and especially Black Canyon Blend, benefit greatly from rest before brewing. They start off a bit on the bitter/harsh side a day or two after receipt, but the balance and sweetness doesn't really come through until a week later. In my hands, Black Canyon in particular requires significant rest to burnish some of the rough edges and smooth out this coffee. YMMV.

spressomon

#72: Post by spressomon replying to borisblank »

Agreed...same experience here.
No Espresso = Depresso

TomC
Team HB

#73: Post by TomC »

I've been enjoying Dustin's (Turning Point) Comfort Coffee. It smells absolutely mouthwatering as it's grinding. Creamy, butterscotch, Reese's peanut butter and gobs of milk chocolate. It's probably going to become my go-to for non bright shots for milk drinks. It's a crowd pleaser for sure.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

spressomon

#74: Post by spressomon »

Tom, are you using Dustin's for pour over or espresso? If espresso what machine are you using to pull shots (curious about water temp mainly)?

Thanks,
Dan
No Espresso = Depresso

TomC
Team HB

#75: Post by TomC replying to spressomon »

Only on the Linea, no pour-over. I'm kicking around the idea of taking a bit to work tomorrow to try that way though. It's very, very easy and forgiving. I have my PID set at 204 I think. I haven't Scaced it yet, but I've heard 4° offset enough that I sorta run with that assumption.

I'd give Dustin my $ even if we weren't coffee friends. I rarely buy other peoples' roasted coffee since I roast myself, but his is a can't miss. He's one of the best roasters I've ever had coffee from and that endorsement doesn't come lightly. He puts a stupendous amount of effort into the coffees he chooses ( his Gr 1 Yirg was chosen after going thru close to 100 different green samples of washed Ethiopians). The Comfort Coffee is just a S.O. Brazilian at the moment, but it's probably the best Brazilian coffee I've ever had as espresso. Not even my beloved Linea Caffe/ Andrew Barnett can touch it.

borisblank

#76: Post by borisblank »

TomC wrote:Only on the Linea, no pour-over.
Could be me, my technique or the beans, but I'm just not feeling this coffee as a V60 pourover. A bit too high in acidity, and there's a bitterness I can't escape from. I also notice that no matter the grind, it seems to always choke the V60. It's also a very dense coffee, in that the same weight takes up a much smaller space in the bottom of the filter. Very unusual!

LarryJ

#77: Post by LarryJ »

Testa Rossa from Luxxe in Santa Monica (order from website) is in the Vivace style and is excellent. (They recommend tight ristretto at high temp, which works for me).
+1

delkat

#78: Post by delkat »

TomC wrote:Only on the Linea, no pour-over. I'm kicking around the idea of taking a bit to work tomorrow to try that way though. It's very, very easy and forgiving. I have my PID set at 204 I think. I haven't Scaced it yet, but I've heard 4° offset enough that I sorta run with that assumption.

I'd give Dustin my $ even if we weren't coffee friends. I rarely buy other peoples' roasted coffee since I roast myself, but his is a can't miss. He's one of the best roasters I've ever had coffee from and that endorsement doesn't come lightly. He puts a stupendous amount of effort into the coffees he chooses ( his Gr 1 Yirg was chosen after going thru close to 100 different green samples of washed Ethiopians). The Comfort Coffee is just a S.O. Brazilian at the moment, but it's probably the best Brazilian coffee I've ever had as espresso. Not even my beloved Linea Caffe/ Andrew Barnett can touch it.
Can you tell me how you are pulling the Comfort Coffee on the Linea. I was trying it with 19G in an 18G VST at 201 - 30G out in 28-30S on my LMLM. It seemed a little ashy and a bit bright/sour. I know he recommends some longer shots on the Ethiopians he roasts but I didn't see any recommendations on the Comfort Coffee.

Thanks

TomC
Team HB

#79: Post by TomC »

We're pretty close. I'm usually 19.5g in either a 20g VST or double IMS Comp basket, 35-38g out. My PID is set at 204, but the group is probably right around 200. It seems pretty flexible as coffees go. I've never gotten sour out of it, but there's a soft peanutty note sometimes.

delkat

#80: Post by delkat »

I see you reference the Linea Mini being 4 degrees off group vs. dial setting. Is this something that I missed somewhere? Are most people keeping an offset to compensate for some inaccuracy?

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but it may help me to dial in this coffee.

Thanks