For Love Coffee, Tang Jia, Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, China - Page 3

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
BenjaminWZX

#21: Post by BenjaminWZX »

I'm a few months late to this party, but hello to all of my fellow Pearl River Delta dwellers (珠三角人).

I have lived in Shenzhen for 4 years and actually owe my coffee journey to this place, but that's a story for another time.

I used to do One Day Coffee in Futian, Shenzhen, but they don't sell beans, they don't roast on-site (stale beans are a problem), and they are crazy expensive.

I have never been to Gee Coffee (address?), but I have heard there's a roaster somewhere out in Longhua near Meilin. HK's Knockbox did have a local outlet in Nanshan, but it closed down in short order. This is sadly not surprising, as their rent was allegedly RMB ~200k/month and coffee is still a fashion drink here; people don't view it like they do tea, so for most Starbucks/Costa are perfectly adequate.

My wife and I generally plan monthly trips to Hong Kong and buy a month's supply at a time. I second recommendations for all of the places mentioned here already and will add perhaps the most visible third wave cafe to the list: The Coffee Academics. They are the specialty brand of Habitu, and thus a chain, and even the most expensive cafe I've been to yet in HK, but that doesn't mean they don't also make quality coffee or roast quality beans. I'm drinking a delicious JWF Blend (Peaberry) from my moka pot right now.

And a final word on prices: For anything here, be it HK where probably 60% of the cost of the cup is for paying rent, or Zhuhai or Macau (where I'm guessing coffee is viewed as a luxury item and thus import and sales prices are augmented), prices are simply usurious compared with the US and it's a fact of living here that I just accept for lack of better options.

If I could trust Chinese couriers to be more timely, I might consider ordering from For Love Coffee (need to look around the website for a menu/price list).

I've thought about home roasting, as green bean prices appear to be much more reasonable, but that comes with its own set of difficulties...c'est la vie!
Kind regards,
Benjamin

SlowRain

#22: Post by SlowRain »

Does anyone have any recommendations for Shunde District of Foshan City? Thanks.

Trimethylpurine (original poster)

#23: Post by Trimethylpurine (original poster) »

BenjaminWZX wrote:I might consider ordering from For Love Coffee (need to look around the website for a menu/price list).
I think the delivery inside China is great, going through customs, even from HK is way too slow.

However For Love Coffee doesnt have a website, and doesnt roast commercial quantities. I am currently out of his beans, and he didnt have any this weekend, though he will roast tonight. I am using some truly yucky Yunan beans.

h
LMWDP #520 Trimethylpurine

BenjaminWZX

#24: Post by BenjaminWZX »

SlowRain wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for Shunde District of Foshan City? Thanks.
I did some digging in Chinese and it seems there is a certified Q-Grader working at 顺德啡世家咖啡馆 (Shunde Feishijia Cafe). According to Dianping, the address is 大良街道 新基三路69号(近大良防疫站). Plug this into a Chinese map service and you should be able to figure out your way.

Of course I'm also happy to provide further translation assistance as my time permits.
Kind regards,
Benjamin

SlowRain

#25: Post by SlowRain »

Thanks. I'll look into it. The problem is, I doubt they're open during Chinese New Year, which is when I'll be going. :(

SlowRain

#26: Post by SlowRain »

We tried to go to Feishijia Cafe today in Shunde. We rode passed it in a taxi, but it was closed. Actually, I'm not even sure the business there now is a cafe. It's not an option for me now, but it may be worth double checking in case anyone else reads this thread and decides to go.