Coffee scales...again - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bluesman

#11: Post by bluesman »

mgrayson wrote:How is the AWS Black Blade's responsiveness? I have their 2kg scale and it is difficult to use under the cup while pulling espresso as it lags a few seconds behind.

Matt
No discernible lag in mine

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by mgrayson »

Thank you.

Matt

Advertisement
frenchpresscoffee

#13: Post by frenchpresscoffee »

Might be Hario V60 Drip Scale with Timer. Good 2 in 1 :).

portamento

#14: Post by portamento replying to frenchpresscoffee »

Don't know if they've improved that Hario scale, but the versions I've used are painfully slow to resolve the correct weight. Acceptable enough for pourovers but annoying for everything else like weighing out coffee. Just when you think you've got your portafilter or cupping glass dosed right, the scale will "settle" into a reading that is a half gram higher or lower. It's a time waster.

With Acaia and Brewista on the scene there are now better options that have integrated timers.
Ryan

portamento

#15: Post by portamento »

IUespresso wrote:Being able to see that I am hitting the golden 1 gram per second rule on the scale really helps me dial in new roasts.
I don't agree that 1 gram per second is a golden rule. That only works for a specific ratio of dose, yield, and brewing time.

But I agree that being able to watch the flow rate numerically is cool and helpful.
Ryan

IUespresso

#16: Post by IUespresso replying to portamento »

Sorry, I should have been more specific.... as he mentioned he had a L-1, I was passing along the recommendation I received from Reiss and other L-1 owners.

Unless you have a cheap magnet digital timer to stick on the machine, it is a little tricky to monitor your results, therefore, I like how the scale has that built in.

-Michael

frenchpresscoffee

#17: Post by frenchpresscoffee »

portamento wrote:Don't know if they've improved that Hario scale, but the versions I've used are painfully slow to resolve the correct weight. Acceptable enough for pourovers but annoying for everything else like weighing out coffee. Just when you think you've got your portafilter or cupping glass dosed right, the scale will "settle" into a reading that is a half gram higher or lower. It's a time waster.

With Acaia and Brewista on the scene there are now better options that have integrated timers.
I heard good things about Brewista Smart Scale but unfortunately newer had a chance to try it. So can't tell you Yes or No.