Measure ground coffee by volume instead of weight

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
michael

#1: Post by michael »

Don't have my scale on vacation to measure coffee for an automatic drip machine

Assume you had to measure by volume, i.e. tablespoons, how much ground coffee would you use per cup, assuming a 5 oz cup 8)

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Make a balance scale?
A 12" ruler, some string, two ziplock bags, and some American coins as weights.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

In 2011 I made some measurements on roasted coffee using a 29.6 cc (2 Tablespoon) scoop and I got approximately 10 grams of whole roasted coffee per level (2 TBSP) scoop and 11 grams of whole roasted peaberry coffee per level scoop.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

You'd need two tablespoons for five ounces. I should know this, standard cupping size.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

day

#5: Post by day »

Once you're in the ballpark consistency will be all that matters. Don't heap :)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

jpender

#6: Post by jpender »

yakster wrote:In 2011 I made some measurements on roasted coffee using a 29.6 cc (2 Tablespoon) scoop and I got approximately 10 grams of whole roasted coffee per level (2 TBSP) scoop and 11 grams of whole roasted peaberry coffee per level scoop.
That works out to 0.34 and 0.37g/ml respectively.

I also tried this a few years ago. The lightest roasted peaberry coffee I measured was about 0.49g/ml. The fattest, darkest roasted (Peet's) coffee was about 0.31g/ml. A pretty sizable variation. And accurately measuring by volume is more difficult to do as well, as is demonstrated by the difference between my measurements versus yakster's for peaberry coffee.

But I don't think it matters that much. I weigh my coffee carefully mostly to be consistent, not because I know in advance what the exact weight ought to be. I think as long as you're using the same coffee a volumetric approach works okay. I stopped carrying a scale when traveling.

michael (original poster)

#7: Post by michael (original poster) »

Thanks for the help

This works for me 8)

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

I use scales for my coffee and water and my Brazen has precise temp controls, but I have a visual memory of the size of my common coffee and water does in my various containers which works great for those times when I'm without a scale or thermometer. It's good to occasionally develop these basic roughing it skills so you'll be prepared for anything. Google helps too, like those tea websites that equate the size of bubbles (shrimp eyes, etc.) to temperatures.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dqbrew

#9: Post by dqbrew »

I like the balance and wish my phone had a build in scale. Maybe the newer ones can with touch sensitivity.

For reference my sister asked about the aeropress 2tbsp scope and I tried three different coffee's the darker (light) cheap gross coffee was 14-15g a scope, nicer intelligentsia decaf was 17-18g a scoop and the light roast coffee was 20-21g a scoop.

Rbudge1

#10: Post by Rbudge1 »

Single origin coffee's of particular grades should be very similar when it comes to volumetric measuring of beans. However if you have a single origin of mixed varietals, you might end up with very inconsistent results. For example a single origin with mixed varietals of Caturra and Pacamara will yield different results cup to cup than a straight up Peaberry.
There is always something new to learn about coffee.
All opinions are my own.