VST Ridgeless vs Ridged

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
richorr

#1: Post by richorr »

Apologies for raising this topic again, but it seems to have been a awhile since it was last litigated. I am looking for some 18g VST baskets for my Linea Mini and I'm torn as to whether or not to go ridged or ridgeless. From what I gather there are theories that the tolerances of the ridgeless are better (likely more round) because the ridge doesn't have to be stamped I into the metal.

That said, has anyone really noticed a difference in the cup? What is the current preference? I kind of like not having my basket fall out but could live with it of there really is a difference.

LaMarzooka

#2: Post by LaMarzooka »

I tried out VST ridge-less baskets (18 & 20) and could taste no difference in the results between using them and the ridged ones. A 5 year old PF spring is tight enough along with my thumb to keep them from flying out of the handle when I knock pucks out, so I have no preference from that standpoint either.

Any difference at all might help me to put two up for sale. :roll:
Espresso or no go!

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Ridgeless . . . and, in addition, get rid of those Portafilter (PF) springs. Baskets are very inexpensive relative to the espresso machine cost and there is no good reason for a home barista to use a PF with a spring.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

LaMarzooka

#4: Post by LaMarzooka »

erics wrote:. . . and, in addition, get rid of those Portafilter (PF) springs. Baskets are very inexpensive relative to the espresso machine cost and there is no good reason for a home barista to use a PF with a spring.
Apologies, but regarding your OT response, I meant to say Portafilter (PF) retaining clip, which is a standard component of the PF design. Why would its use be unadvised?
Espresso or no go!

brianl

#5: Post by brianl »

ridgeless is better if you follow the camp of filling the basket outside of the portafilter. I, on the other hand, appreciate the ridge as a means to keep my dose volume consistent in the basket among different coffees.

weebit_nutty

#6: Post by weebit_nutty »

the spring keeps the basket seated in the PF and prevents it from being left behind during removal from the group, which often happens in my experience.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

keno

#7: Post by keno »

erics wrote:Ridgeless . . . and, in addition, get rid of those Portafilter (PF) springs. Baskets are very inexpensive relative to the espresso machine cost and there is no good reason for a home barista to use a PF with a spring.
+1, I have both ridgeless and ridged and I can't taste a difference between them, but I definitely agree with Eric about ditching the PF spring - it's one of the best changes I made to my workflow. Dose the basket sans portafilter and tamp, then just drop it into the PF and pull your shot.

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

erics wrote:...there is no good reason for a home barista to use a PF with a spring.
I've switched back and forth between dosing the basket outside the portafilter and dosing directly. When serving back-to-back shots for a crowd, dosing directly is much faster. With a little practice, dose consistency is within 0.5 gram. The VST baskets are well-tuned for "strikeoff" dosing, i.e., a level cut of the 18 gram basket will yield very close to 18 grams every time.

That said, when testing coffees or equipment, I recommend weighing the dose and that's most convenient with the basket outside the portafilter.
Dan Kehn

LaMarzooka

#9: Post by LaMarzooka »

I weigh the entire PF after dosing which works fine for me. No harm, no foul. :roll:
Espresso or no go!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

erics wrote:Ridgeless . . . and, in addition, get rid of those Portafilter (PF) springs. Baskets are very inexpensive relative to the espresso machine cost and there is no good reason for a home barista to use a PF with a spring.
Biggest reason is so you don't have to pick the basket out of the knockbox. I've tweaked the springs in my PFs so that the baskets pop in & out easily & definitely prefer that set up to going springless. I also prefer to just dose right into the PF.
LMWDP 267