Thick sweet chocolatey shots - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
aecletec

#21: Post by aecletec »

I've had the same problem with great looking shots tasting awful.
+eleventybillion to the technique and beans being key, not the machine.

russel

#22: Post by russel »

You should also try Espresso Profeta the next time you find yourself in the Westwood area LA. It's a Vivace account and does a pretty good job within that style.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Cafetruck (original poster)

#23: Post by Cafetruck (original poster) »

Ok ok. I know it seems like I am married to or at least in love w Slayer single group machines. Besides the "Joel" video at the front of this thread, this Bizarre Foods Show clip really made me into a coffee Nerd. What a great big wonderful international world of flavor. The most exotic locations. Dozens of sumptuous drinks. There's no excuse for bad coffee.
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/36724424

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by Bill33525 »

That's the only show I could enjoy by A. Zimmern.
These two videos can definitely get a guy hot for a Slayer.
Fortunately for me there is a shop within driving range that has a 3 group Slayer.

JmanEspresso

#25: Post by JmanEspresso »

Bill33525 wrote:This Video is fantastic, I love the way the shot comes to a single drip so fast. Need to order some Black Jack! Anybody ID the grinders?
Probably has a lot to do with the result.

I love that video and have watched it lots, so Im gonna try and answer without rewatching.

Pretty sure the grinders are Mazzer Konys and Anfim Super Camaino.

Now Ill go check to be sure, and edit if I was wrong.

Edit-Yup, I was right. Two Mazzer Konys and an Anfim Super Camaino.. and its outfitted with the digital timer, which could be aftermarket, or it could be the "barista" model. Anfim is a 75mm flat(possibly titantium, usually is in the highest end model), and the Kony is the little bro to the Robur, and its equipped with 63mm Conicals.

#26: Post by Cafetruck (original poster) »

Just had another horribly bitter experience. I choked. Literally. On the bitterness and acidity of a premium priced single origin espresso shot off of the competition level Aduino Black Eagle. I have to resign myself to the fact that ALL unmilked and unsweetened espresso is going to be very bitter and very acidic. Not fruity or lemony. PH alteringly not compatible with me. No wonder so few people order straight espressos(% - wise) Undrinkable. I am not going to pay good money to have my stomach churned upside down. Cold brew is gonna be my "sweet spot." Sorry. My barista was well trained. Very good person, great service. Maybe her hands are tied. She tried. Twice. If everybody likes bitter but me . . . No wonder people want great espresso setups at home! It's crazy out there. Even the posts here prove that getting a tasty unadulterated shot at retail is at best a crap shoot. Even if u find a Third Wave shop that makes what u like, all it takes is a new barista, new beans or any of a dozen variables to be off. And boom. Poorly made espresso. Or, worse yet, crap that the barista thinks is good. Does ANYBODY else see a major problem in the retail espresso business? Last point on this. After my bad experience today, I went to a different indie shop that gets good Yelps. I asked the owner if he could make me a shot that wasn't real bitter? He said. No. "It HAS to be bitter to stand up to the MILK." Wow. At least he was honest and didn't charge me for something Undrinkable.
Mark

brianl

#27: Post by brianl »

I have only had what I would call quality espressos at five locations (Dwelltime in Boston, peregrine in WDC, Gaslight in Chicago, and Coffee Time in some weird market in Buenos Aires, and anywhere in Sydney [but especially single origin coffee roasters]).

You just need to know that straight espresso isn't really a priority for many places and are probably best doing it at home as crazy as that sounds.

Bitter to stand up to milk? now that's a joke.

#28: Post by Cafetruck (original poster) »

Ya. That Stand up to the Milk line would be hilarious if I wasn't getting so pissed off. This scavenger hunt is already real old. Bad joke on me. Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!