Nuova Simonelli Aurelia - Measuring brew temperature

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kevindouglas4130

#1: Post by kevindouglas4130 »

Hi guys,

I am new to coffee and have a 2011 aurelia. i have been finding to hard to get the most out of my coffee. My espressos seemed to be a bit cold. The boiler gauge was set at 1.2 ish bar as thats meant to be 92.5 degrees Celsius at the group. I used a thermopen to measure the temp it was only 80, i have upped the pressure stat and now i get 90-92 coming out. i know this is not a great way to measure but how else can i know if im getting the right brew temp. without buying a scace thermometer?

Many thanks

Kevin

wearashirt

#2: Post by wearashirt replying to kevindouglas4130 »

On using a meat thermometer/milk steaming thermometer, one just has to continuously bathe it in group water in an insulated container. You'll get close to 90-92.

Assuming our HXs are similarly built, 1-1.2 reading on the boiler pressure already gives something scaldingly hot. (I know this through experience...)

If you describe your circumstances in greater detail, I can give more insight. :)

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

kevindouglas4130 wrote:i know this is not a great way to measure but how else can i know if im getting the right brew temp. without buying a scace thermometer?
You can get reasonably accurate readings with a foam cup. From Seeking low tech way to measure brew temperature in the FAQ:
barry wrote:foam cup method:

take a small foam cup which will fit up against the group gasket (6oz is about the right size), and push a dial stem thermometer through the side about an inch up from the bottom. angle the thermometer stem downwards across the cup and wedge it into the opposite bottom corner. to measure brew water temp, remove the portafilter from the machine and hold the cup firmly against the group gasket on the underside of the brewhead in such a way that you can see the thermometer dial. run about 2oz of water into the cup and watch the thermometer dial for the maximum temperature reached. it's easy to get burned doing this, so be careful not to let hot water run onto your hand.
Or you can Build a DIY Thermofilter.
Dan Kehn