A new grinder from Lyn Weber Workshops - "more precise than anything on the market" - Page 39

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spearfish25

#381: Post by spearfish25 »

The honest truth is this. Their products are f'ing gorgeous. Having an engineering background and appreciating a fine product, I'd love to have everything they make. Even the little single dose tubes. But the prices are astronomical. Beyond astronomical. You have to be treating yourself to a very expensive and special gift to buy stuff like this. Or win the lotto. Or both. No one NEEDS the LW products. They WANT the LW products.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#382: Post by FotonDrv »

kwantfm wrote:I can't remember seeing any guesses as to burr set... so I'll lob one in. Compak R80 burrs. :D
Mahlkonig Peak with coatings. New Mahlkonig "PEAK" grinder

That is my guess.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

canuckcoffeeguy

#383: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I don't understand why people are concerned about the ability to adjust alignment. This is a plus.

How about when it comes time to disassemble this grinder? To clean it or change the burrs. How then will you ensure perfect alignment? Well, use the allen key system they've devised.

Try doing that with your K10, Robur, Pharos. None of these have an easy, foolproof, built-in system for realignment. Even Doug at OE had to post videos about aligning the Pharos. And I'm still not certain you can be 100 per cent confident about realigning the Pharos yourself. I know I don't want to take mine apart.

I also have a K10PB and I'm terrified about ever taking it apart. Some recent threads about this show reassembly is no easy task.

There's a lot of nayasaying going on and nobody here has touched or used an EG-1. Yes, it's expensive. But so is a GS/3, Slayer and Speedster. And we know how important a grinder is, even if you have the best espresso machine in the world.

Bluecold

#384: Post by Bluecold »

FotonDrv wrote:Mahlkonig Peak with coatings.
http://cfile5.uf.tistory.com/image/2113 ... E4B02F1338 R80
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBXAclJUwAEurKE.jpg Peak
EG1
canuckcoffeeguy wrote:
How about when it comes time to disassemble this grinder? To clean it or change the burrs. How then will you ensure perfect alignment? Well, use the allen key system they've devised.

Try doing that with your K10, Robur, Pharos. None of these have an easy, foolproof, built-in system for realignment. Even Doug at OE had to post videos about aligning the Pharos. And I'm still not certain you can be 100 per cent confident about realigning the Pharos yourself. I know I don't want to take mine apart.

I also have a K10PB and I'm terrified about ever taking it apart. Some recent threads about this show reassembly is no easy task.
I have a Faema MC and there is only one way to put it together after taking it apart. There is no possibility for alignment, because the factory has ensured good alignment by precision manufacturing. Again, the same goes for the engine in your car. You don't want to adjust your crankshaft alignment, nor do you want the possibility of crankshaft alignment adjustment. In the unlikely event you spin a bearing, you'll replace the crankshaft with a new one, and go on your way. This works because crankshafts and engine blocks are precision components that are machined to match eachother. If I need to replace burrs in my Faema and I notice the alignment is off, I'll send back the burrs and will demand properly fitting burrs.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Spitz.me

#385: Post by Spitz.me »

Exactly Roeland, I don't want to worry about fidgeting with machinery that I have no experience working with. I imagine no one wants that to be something they NEED to think about. Even if you can fix the issue 'easily' (totally subjective). The salt is real when those start showing up.

Unlike the HG-1, it's not in a league of it's own. I'm interested in how this plays out since it sounds like the PEAK, EK43 and Mythos will win out in the market. Has anyone in this thread mentioned that they've signed up to purchase? We do have cafe owners on this forum.
LMWDP #670

Balthazar_B

#386: Post by Balthazar_B »

Does anyone else think this analogy works in a number of ways?

Lyn Weber : EG-1 :: Dean Kamen : Segway
- John

LMWDP # 577

spearfish25

#387: Post by spearfish25 »

Balthazar_B wrote:
Lyn Weber : EG-1 :: Dean Kamen : Segway
I'd probably sign up for a coffee tour on an EG-1. And I'd never buy a Segway.

caffeinezombie

#388: Post by caffeinezombie »

I think the thing here is that people also realize that it is not so straightforward to align the burrs, if it's going to be anything like the hg1.

That said, I think it should at least be easier as the burrs are the same size so at least you have it covered, provided the burrs are already parallel.

coffeechan

#389: Post by coffeechan »

I'd hate to be assigned to refilling the EG one bean capsules if I was running a coffee shop. It would require weighing the capsules and filling narrow openings with beans of different sizes.

It reminds me of K cups without the convenience. It would be neat to order sets of bean shots with best parameters from different makers to decrease variables in other parts of espresso.

I hope at some point a stripped down version comes to market with a mini hopper, angled burrs, no variable rpm.

Barb
Supporter ♡

#390: Post by Barb »

And I would love LW to work on a portable grinder. My Lido3 is fine but I would love a mni HG-1 to take with me.
As for counter top grinder, the new EG-1 is handsome ,new form factor. I mentally kind of pair it with the electronic-tablet based Decent espressso machine which is being designed. New cool form factors Tres Moderne!
At the end of the day, I love my HG-1 which grinds SD beautifully for me, is handsome and affordable .